2024 League 1 & Cha...

Notifications
Clear all

2024 League 1 & Championship Format

Page 1 / 3
(@geoffw)
Prominent Member

All clubs from both Leagues have met presumably with a RFL representative present. Reported League 1 to stay with 9 teams for next season & Championship as now. The 2025 set up to be announced this winter.

Topic starter Posted : 05/10/2023 2:48 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

Good for the integrity of 2023 at least - I'd have been a bit miffed if I was Doncaster and the likes of Oldham got a free leg up. Likewise, Whitehaven and Swinton if Keighley and Newcastle had stayed up.

Surely the solution is for League 1 clubs to play each other three times over the season (although bad luck if you get Cornwall away twice...)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/10/2023 4:53 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

No 4 times - that’s level then, if 3 times that will be unfair to clubs

in fairness not many of those clubs will not have a cup run so that would make 33 games in a season, when we won the cups what was our biggest season games - suspect well above that 

This post was modified 7 months ago by Ditton donkey
ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/10/2023 6:23 pm
(@geoffw)
Prominent Member

One idea mooted for next year that was mentioned in the press release  to increase the number of games for League 1 is to include them in the1895 cup. I am not at all sure that is the correct answer or how it would work unless Championship clubs play more games as well.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/10/2023 7:01 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

Posted by: @ditton-donkey

in fairness not many of those clubs will not have a cup run so that would make 33 games in a season, when we won the cups what was our biggest season games - suspect well above that 

Four times will be too many when you factor in play-offs, and one or two cup games. Three times = 24 games, 12 home, 12 away.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/10/2023 8:29 pm
(@spelly)
Noble Member

Posted by: @jdgsport

Good for the integrity of 2023 at least - I'd have been a bit miffed if I was Doncaster and the likes of Oldham got a free leg up. * Likewise, Whitehaven and Swinton if Keighley and Newcastle had stayed up.

Surely the solution is for League 1 clubs to play each other three times over the season ** (although bad luck if you get Cornwall away twice...)

* I'd have been seriously miffed mate! We stayed up on merit!

**  Whilst playing each other three times seems a serious option, like you say, can you imagine what Worky would say if they had to go twice to Penryn?

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/10/2023 8:50 pm
PaulieWalnuts
(@pauliewalnuts)
Honorable Member

Posted by: @spelly

Good for the integrity of 2023 at least - I'd have been a bit miffed if I was Doncaster and the likes of Oldham got a free leg up. * Likewise, Whitehaven and Swinton if Keighley and Newcastle had stayed up.

Surely the solution is for League 1 clubs to play each other three times over the season ** (although bad luck if you get Cornwall away twice...)

* I'd have been seriously miffed mate! We stayed up on merit!

**  Whilst playing each other three times seems a serious option, like you say, can you imagine what Worky would say if they had to go twice to Penryn?

Spelly.

Maybe the RFL could put the 9 in 3 groups of 3, by region, and let them play a 'round robin' of some description. That would give them a 20 game season.

Paulie xx

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/10/2023 10:59 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

Four times will be too many when you factor in play-offs, and one or two cup games. Three times = 24 games, 12 home, 12 away.

currently 1895 cup is the last few remaining from the cc

not many league 1 clubs will make that, playoffs max of 3 games

if they play 4 times that gives 32 plus 1 cc plus 3 playoffs

37 games 

also more home games each so more income

in 74/75 Widnes as a part time team played 49 games

admittedly travelling has got larger and funding is reduced

heading back to old times of first division 16, second 14 before “expansion” started

from there we have lost Blackpool, huyton, bramley from the original 30 and current gains are cats,Toulouse,London,crusaders,Newcastle,Sheffield,midlands,Cornwall 

with lots of other teams in the revolving door

(. Carlisle,Cardiff,Bridgend,Mansfield,skolars,Hemel,glos,Oxford,Maidstone ?, to name a few)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/10/2023 1:49 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Hopefully see the end of the Bash. 13 home and away in the League. Simples.

Is there no scope to make the 1895 like the Northern Rail Cup which would guarantee further home fixtures for the League 1 clubs? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/10/2023 4:49 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

Yes but that’s more one sided games for championship clubs with zero attendance, we need to make league 1 more attractive to the punters

Thinking again maybe home and away - 16 games and play 4=more against your local teams - but that would mean Cornwall,midlands,crusaders , Oldham and Rochdale ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/10/2023 6:03 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

Don’t forget of corse that Toulouse May revert to the French league if they do not win the magic game _ what happens then ? 
Keighley back up and a league 1 of 8 ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/10/2023 6:26 pm
(@winny-ingram)
Trusted Member

@ditton-donkey if that did happen, it would leave 13 teams in the Championship.

Maybe the RFL would be better relegating Whitehaven who finished 12th and having an even 10 team League 1.

SL x 12

Champ x 12

L1 x 10

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/10/2023 7:24 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

Don’t forget of corse that Toulouse May revert to the French league if they do not win the magic game _ what happens then ? 
Keighley back up and a league 1 of 8 ?

Can't see that happening, Toulouse would sit tight for another year and then probably end up in SL via IMG's criteria for 2025.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/10/2023 2:07 pm
(@spelly)
Noble Member

Rumours now circulating on Facebook that Thunder have gone bust, which if true, would then reduce League 1 to just eight teams!

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/10/2023 8:14 pm
(@johnnyboy)
Reputable Member

The Newcastle withdrawal adds more fuel to this now. I really hope we don’t merge the 2x leagues as it will get v messy. I have zero faith in the RFL doing this well. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/10/2023 8:16 am
gpo1971 and sandgroper reacted
Page 1 / 3
Share: