Notifications
Clear all

2023 Retained

Page 2 / 3
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

@viking25 

Looks like a fair shot tbh. I would hope that we have already secured Bob Beswick for next year!!!!

One factor that we can't judge is just what our coach sees in each player, and how he views his potential development. As spectators we would like to see an 'Andy Gregory' and anything less isn't good enough, but the coach's aim starts at the other end, the challenge being to make the player into an Andy Gregory!

Any coach worth his salt always has the aim to make the player better than the lad ever thought he could be. Signing ready made players is for a 'manager' rather than a 'coach'.

Watching Bradford last night one of our 'tipped' signings, Ant Walker, looks to have a bit of extra timber aboard atm!!

This post was modified 2 years ago by sandgroper
ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/08/2022 10:25 am
Northstar
(@northstar)
Estimable Member

I've nothing against him personally, but sadly Lyons offers nothing at this level of football. May be controversial to some, but Baker also is very much a player living on likeability / reputation. Matty Smith is not going to be much of a loss on the pitch if he goes, maybe in the dressing room but not on the playing staff. Best days long gone I'm afraid, too many invisible games nowadays and not dynamic enough. Likewise Tyrer.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/08/2022 12:30 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

Would like to see lezy play a game before we decide

roby should be kept, probably in favour of spedding

need a new half back and centre, tryer probably in last season

still keep hulme even if Johnstone coming

johnson, yes I agree a bit of a liability at the moment but he is signed up is he not ?

pack looking good if we keep farnworth, doro and amor coming, like to keep tilleke too, Lawton front row from now on gives a good base

that leaves wingers and fb

fb will prob be Jack when fit

wingers ince and ? Holroyd, Fleming is best at centre probably with roberts

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/08/2022 1:51 pm
 tosh
(@tosh)
Trusted Member

IMO binning Brookes is a bit rough , thought he looked pretty good before his injury 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/08/2022 4:45 pm
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

Agree, he looked to be a lot of the attributes to be very handy at this level prior to his injury. I doubt he is costing us a fortune either. I think we should give him a chance to make the grade next season. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/08/2022 8:08 pm
Northstar
(@northstar)
Estimable Member

Brookes isn't quick enough or big enough for a top 3 team, which has to be our aim next year. As per my previous post, absolutely nothing personal but simply a lower end of the championship type player at best. If we are 'going big' as I keep hearing, then strike players in those positions are where the money has to be spent.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/08/2022 8:46 pm
(@delta-machine)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @northstar

Brookes isn't quick enough or big enough for a top 3 team, which has to be our aim next year. As per my previous post, absolutely nothing personal but simply a lower end of the championship type player at best. If we are 'going big' as I keep hearing, then strike players in those positions are where the money has to be spent.

Just out of interest what the fudge is a STRIKE player?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/08/2022 10:21 am
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Need a squad to be able to compete in the Top 6.

As such keeping the likes of Brookes and Roby give us some depth options.

Bent should be re-signed as a priority as he has become a key player under the coaching of JK.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/08/2022 12:34 pm
Northstar
(@northstar)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @delta-machine
Posted by: @northstar

Just out of interest what the fudge is a STRIKE player?

Someone who offers a real threat on the pitch and is a regular high scorer in matches, probably also near the top of the scoring charts. As I said, the sort of player you think of when spending money is on the agenda. Think Vai Vai who was at York etc.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/08/2022 1:30 pm
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

If Brookes isn’t considered big enough where does that leave the rest of our wingers who appear to be smaller?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/08/2022 5:15 pm
(@sunny)
Noble Member

Extending the brief of this thread slightly to include players on loan to the end of the season, I would try to sign Dixon, Doro, Field and Roberts, all I feel would strengthen next seasons squad. Am not too bothered about Johnson.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/08/2022 5:31 pm
(@blue-viking)
Estimable Member

People will be pleased to know Liam bent will be with us for 2 more years

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/08/2022 5:59 pm
(@mckviking)
Prominent Member

@sunny Dixon is looking at a 12 match ban so wouldn’t be eligible to play for half of next season

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/08/2022 1:17 am
Gulley Sucker
(@gulley-sucker)
Eminent Member

@mckeeverviking Dixon found not guilty a couple of days ago.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/08/2022 7:16 am
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

Good. I’d like us to sign him up if possible. He was excellent in his few games for us.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/08/2022 7:40 am
Page 2 / 3
Share: