Notifications
Clear all

Thinks?

(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Just looking at Pryce's face last night makes me wonder if he was thinking 'I could go and have a warm, sunny walk along the beach if I was at home! Why am I here?'

Topic starter Posted : 13/11/2020 10:02 am
(@frankg)
Noble Member

Maybe "I wonder whether that Widnes job is still available?"

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/11/2020 11:04 am
(@ceejay1)
Reputable Member

I hope not.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/11/2020 4:13 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

Would love to jump on Warringtons back but I  don’t want to continue the hyperbole. They lost a match but people point to their deficiencies, lack of academy products, small pack etc but ultimately, they are still a good team who just come short, unfortunately for them.

I remember back in 16, they were champions but lost a close grand final to Wigan yet people were critiquing their deficiencies and completely forgetting their consistent form throughout the year.

The problem with this comp is that a team can win 3 games and be categorised as world class and a team could lose one game and be categorised as “weak”.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/11/2020 4:48 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Still quite funny that they can't get that league title over the line......

On a serious note, 4 Challenge Cups since 2009 is something I certainly would settle for.

But given their resources and signings, no SL Titles is underachievement.

The longer they don't have a star on that shirt, the better!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/11/2020 5:54 pm
(@ceejay1)
Reputable Member

Any Club can buy star players but it takes a certain kind of Coach to build a TEAM.   I think that a lot of players have forgotten " there is no I in Team".

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/11/2020 6:39 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

But what struck me was that the 'star' players didn't twinkle, certainly not as much as Sneyd anyway.

Wire's agression early on looked as if they were up for it, but there wss no clinical game plan to follow.

I dont know how much Austin and Widdup are costing them but they disappear too often for me.

Looking at Toby King I just cant see Brand getting into the team in the near future.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14/11/2020 9:58 am
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Would love to jump on Warringtons back but I don’t want to continue the hyperbole. They lost a match but people point to their deficiencies, lack of academy products, small pack etc but ultimately, they are still a good team who just come short, unfortunately for them. I remember back in 16, they were champions but lost a close grand final to Wigan yet people were critiquing their deficiencies and completely forgetting their consistent form throughout the year.

No gloating from me either, we are in no position to gloat.For me the team finishing top at the end of the season's fixtures are Champions and Wire have done that in recent years.The Grand Final is the old Premiership play off Final.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/11/2020 10:50 am
 Dan1
(@dan1)
Honorable Member

For the money they spend, to not win a single grand final is disappointing. GI is on his way to them next season as well, if he's half as good as he used to be he will be some signing.

3 problems for me, pack isn't big/aggressive enough, Chris Hill is past his best, other props and back rowers are average. Other issue is the half backs, Widdop for a marquee signing isn't worth the money. Seems like he hasn't settled. Lastly compared to Wigan and Saints they don't bring through enough international standard players, they have a couple but Saints and Wigan have a conveyor belt.

They need an organising/ kicking scrum half, 2 props and 2 back rowers to make the step up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/11/2020 12:28 am
(@torn-sock-1)
Estimable Member

For the money they spend, to not win a single grand final is disappointing. GI is on his way to them next season as well, if he’s half as good as he used to be he will be some signing. 3 problems for me, pack isn’t big/aggressive enough, Chris Hill is past his best, other props and back rowers are average. Other issue is the half backs, Widdop for a marquee signing isn’t worth the money. Seems like he hasn’t settled. Lastly compared to Wigan and Saints they don’t bring through enough international standard players, they have a couple but Saints and Wigan have a conveyor belt. They need an organising/ kicking scrum half, 2 props and 2 back rowers to make the step up.

Think this is a self realising prophecy. If you were a good young player who had a choice would you go to Wire, where they just buy in big names and don't really give youth a chance, or would you go to Wigan/Saints who have given youth loads of chances and any given week you're likely to find a few "homegrown" players in the side?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/11/2020 9:05 am
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

I doubt Inglis will be even half the player he once was,will probably miss more games than he plays.Widnes signed Moule who had retired due to too many injuries.Never a great idea.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/11/2020 11:07 am
(@gpo1971)
Honorable Member

A couple of players need moving on for me. I think they've looked better with the other lad at FB recently and not Ratchford, Gelling isn't all that these days and I doubt whether Inglis will rip up any trees. Austin has looked a little stifled since Widdop has been there, Austin is the better player he could do with a proper scrum half. A couple of new forwards needed as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/11/2020 9:31 pm
Share: