Notifications
Clear all

The Lions!

Page 1 / 37
(@spelly)
Noble Member

Hello, a happy new year to you all, and it's great to be back!

We started the 2020 campaign last Sunday with a pre-season friendly at the Pinks. We kept 'em out for about 20 minutes, but from then on, the diff between FT, and PT players told, and it finished 52-4 the wrong way.

Two more friendlies await us, with 'Ornits (Mazey and Co as well) away on Sunday week, before we host Wire-ish the Saturday after, which is part of the deal that took Matty Ashton to the HJS.

Our opening league match is up at 'Haven. It's never easy up there, and Charlton's Crew will defo be "up for it" on their return to the middle tier.

As I mentioned on the previous forum, the walk this year will be (again) when you mob are the visitors, and I'd love some Widnesians to join us on the trek from Barton Bridge to Sale. Please watch this space for updates on how we can raise some dosh for Bloodwise, and the MNDA.

Spelly.

Topic starter Posted : 09/01/2020 10:20 am
(@geoffw)
Prominent Member

A happy New Year to you too Spelly. Welcome back.
How do you rate your chances this new season? You had a pretty good one last year but lost Ashton. have you lost anyone else of quality? Has your prop Bennion stayed with you?
As far as the Vikings go I am hoping we can sneak into the top 5.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/01/2020 2:54 pm
(@spelly)
Noble Member

Ashton will defo be a big miss, but we couldn't stand in his way when offered Super League football.

Bennion is still with us, along with another 15 of last year's squad, so I would think (as ever) the term "cautious optimism" for a similar finishing position as last term, would sum up the mood of the Lions' faithful for the forthcoming campaign.

Top five for you mob? Toulouse, the Broncos, Fev, and Leythers, are my tips for the top four, but maybe not in that order. After that, 'Fax and York shouldn't be too far away, so it won't be easy for Widnes to say the least, to reach the play-offs.

Bradford? With the upheaval(s) they've had, the huge turnover in the squad, and the flit to Dews, I reckon they'll be nearer the bottom than the top, and along with the likes of Dews, Bats, and the promoted two, they could well be battling it out in the basement department.

Time will tell!

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/01/2020 7:23 pm
(@sunny)
Noble Member

You write us off at your peril, Spelly!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2020 5:44 pm
(@spelly)
Noble Member

You write us off at your peril, Spelly!

I'll be the first to admit it if I'm wrong mate!

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14/01/2020 12:29 pm
(@spelly)
Noble Member

Our game at 'Ornits on Sunday, is off already.

It looked like we were taking a decent following there as well.

Can't see it being re-arranged, so we've now only Wire-ish on Saturday week, before the "proper" season kicks in with that trip up the M6 to the Rec.

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 16/01/2020 2:40 pm
(@spelly)
Noble Member

Lions 16-12 Wire-ish this aft, and that very old phrase of "A win's a win." would prob sum up the proceedings.

Very few established first-teamers were in the visitors' line up, but Dec Patten was, and he showed a few touches of the quality he possesses.

The Heywood Road pitch has seen better days, and playing open football on it was always gonna be difficult, but.....................

I'd imagine that the Rec next week will be of a similar ilk, so it could have been a blessing in disguise.

It was 16-12 at oranges, with  the try count three to two in our favour, but neither side troubled the scorers after the interval.

Not a match that'll live long in the memory, but at least we can now head up to 'Haven on the back of a victory.

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/01/2020 6:13 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Any win over the Wire is a good one Spelly!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/01/2020 9:48 pm
(@spelly)
Noble Member

Any win over the Wire is a good one Spelly!

Similar to us with the Pinks mate!

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/01/2020 10:02 pm
 DLM
(@dlm)
Trusted Member

<p style="text-align: left;">Congratulations on your recent publicity for being an amazing supporter of Swinton and Indeed RL in general Mr Spellman. A fantastic achievement.</p>
Let's hope you are your 'mobs' actions in removing the previous board doesnt result in Swinton not being around for the next 40.

DLM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/01/2020 10:48 pm
(@spelly)
Noble Member

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Congratulations on your recent publicity for being an amazing supporter of Swinton and Indeed RL in general Mr Spellman. A fantastic achievement.</p> Let’s hope you are your ‘mobs’ actions in removing the previous board doesnt result in Swinton not being around for the next 40. DLM

Thanks mate!

The new board are working well, and (as with previous regimes) Mazey and Co are now a remnant of the past!

We have both a thriving Trust, and Pride Builder, which work hand in hand to help the team we love, and I'm 101% confident that the Lions will be around for a lonnnnnnnnng time yet!

Spelly - Swinton till I die!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/01/2020 10:51 am
(@spelly)
Noble Member

Just back from the Rec, where it finished 'Haven 0-14 Lions, and the first time for eleven years, we've won our opening league game!

The pitch was heavy, so free-flowing football was never gonna happen, but converted tries early doors in each half, put us on the way to a good win.

We'll play better sides than Charlton's Crew during the forthcoming campaign, but to nil anyone at any level is an achievement in itself.

With nine minutes left, one of the hosts, along with Rhodri Lloyd for us, were despatched to the sin-bin, for engaging in a bit of pugilism, and we were down to eleven for the last five minutes, when Mickey Butt was yellow carded for holding down.

A pen right on the hooter stretched the lead to fourteen points, and the 150 or so of us came back down the M6 as happy bunnies.

Dews at home is the next date in our diary.

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/02/2020 8:26 pm
(@sunny)
Noble Member

Keep it up, Swinton, I've predicted another win for you next weekend...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/02/2020 8:55 am
(@spelly)
Noble Member

Our game with Dews is off.

There's a pic on Facebook of the pitch, and there's more water than grass!

The rain is lashing down here in Monton!

Don't you just love this summer football?

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/02/2020 11:11 am
(@spelly)
Noble Member

Our cup-tie with Leigh Miners is to be staged on the Saturday, rather than the Sunday.

Good move in my opinion, as hopefully some Centurions' fans might make the short trip now and put a few more on the attendance, as they're not involved till 24 hours later.

Meanwhile, weather permitting, we're at the Mount on Sunday, after a (non healthy) lunch at the Weatherspoon's just down the hill from the ground.

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14/02/2020 11:20 am
Page 1 / 37
Share: