Notifications
Clear all

Super League Show

(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

<p style="text-align: left;">It’s good to see how the BBC value Rugby League. It’s the first weekend of the new SL season , so the BBC have put the SL show on at 12-45AM, they couldn’t even put it on at 11-45 as they had to put a repeat of Top Gear on first!!
I remember about 2 years ago the RL saying they had signed a new deal with the BBC , and they were going to improve their RL coverage, I wonder what time it would have been shown if they hadn’t improved it🙄</p>

Topic starter Posted : 30/03/2021 12:00 am
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Is it only in the North or Nationwide?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2021 2:06 pm
(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

In the Notth. But they now show highlights from the Women’s football SL every week nationally after MOTD, yet they only average about 4,000 fans, about half of what RL gets.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/03/2021 4:23 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

I can't say I necessarily watch it because I found it a bit Yorkshire centric and I stopped watching SL Highlights about 3 years ago cos we lost every week!

However, for the casual fan or to attract new ones, that is a terrible slot!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2021 4:57 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

The bbc have been massively pushing women’s football for the last 2 years, and now they are part of the contract with sky you will get force fed it

RL will be occasionally on bbc1 for a big game, then the rest forced over to bbc2 and the red button

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2021 6:55 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

With tbe regular coverage plus their Premier League connections to the vast majority of the population think 'SL' means women's soccer nowadays.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2021 7:48 pm
(@mick-george)
Prominent Member

Just record it like everyone else does if not it is rerun the following afternoon.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2021 9:03 pm
(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

You could then say, why bother having the Monday night/Tuesday morning one, just have the Tuesday afternoon one on BBC 2. But most people wouldn’t be able to watch this one, they would be working, so would have to record it. So you could then say , well if you’re going to have to record it, you might as well just have it on the Red button, and no chance of getting new people watching it, to see if they like it.Then the next thing you know, is the Bbc have cancelled it, because not enough people are watching it.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 31/03/2021 8:34 am
(@mick-george)
Prominent Member

You could then say, why bother having the Monday night/Tuesday morning one, just have the Tuesday afternoon one on BBC 2. But most people wouldn’t be able to watch this one, they would be working, so would have to record it. So you could then say , well if you’re going to have to record it, you might as well just have it on the Red button, and no chance of getting new people watching it, to see if they like it.Then the next thing you know, is the Bbc have cancelled it, because not enough people are watching it.

The sooner you realise that RL is and always has been a northern minority sport then you will understand the scheduling. We should be grateful of any coverage at all.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/03/2021 9:33 am
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

I agree with Mick, the self-entitlement from RL fans is embarrassing at times. We overachieve in terms of media, a sport that is played between a 200 mile radius and a sport that attracts less than 100,000 viewers on sky, are extremely lucky to have a multi-million pound tv deal with a network.

forget about competing with union, it’s a mismatch.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/03/2021 4:25 pm
(@carpet-crawler)
Trusted Member

And forget about competing with the WSL too. With the BBC it's all about ticks in boxes. WSL ticks loads of boxes but sadly, RL does not. Hang on, there's the tick in the "reinforcing embarrassing stereotypes about people in the north" box so that's at least one tick for RL.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/03/2021 11:40 pm
(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

I agree with Mick, the self-entitlement from RL fans is embarrassing at times. We overachieve in terms of media, a sport that is played between a 200 mile radius and a sport that attracts less than 100,000 viewers on sky, are extremely lucky to have a multi-million pound tv deal with a network. forget about competing with union, it’s a mismatch.

The average crowd figures for SL in 2019 was 8,400, and RU Premiership figures were 7,700, but apparently we can’t compete with them!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/04/2021 11:00 am
Share: