Notifications
Clear all

Salford (a) Challenge Cup

Page 1 / 7
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

20 man squad named:

Owens, Spedding, Tyrer, Cross, Craven, Smith, Edge, Roby, Buckley, Brookes, Hill, Clough, Grady, Jewitt, Lawton, Dwyer, Wilde, Tilleke, Else, Lyons.

Presumably the only 20 available after injury and isolation.....

Jewitt needs some minutes!

Topic starter Posted : 08/04/2021 2:00 pm
(@widiot)
Reputable Member

Don’t think Jewitt will be fit, so that leaves us with 19.

19/20 fit players after round 1. How has it come to this?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/04/2021 2:59 pm
(@frankg)
Noble Member

Farnworth and Baker self-isolating due to covid; Cook injured back last week; O'Neill recovering from head injury; Hatton close to return; and Tomkins long term injury. We do seem to be relying on loans to bolster the small squad.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/04/2021 3:15 pm
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

Just hope we can get this game out of the way without picking up any injuries really. At best we will have only two forwards on the bench. If Jewitt isn't fit we won't even have that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/04/2021 3:55 pm
(@viking25)
Prominent Member

Don’t think Jewitt will be fit, so that leaves us with 19. 19/20 fit players after round 1. How has it come to this?

It’s not good enough.

Only used 16 players round 1 because we didn’t have enough forwards and a week later we haven’t even got enough players to name a full squad.

A sad state.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/04/2021 4:05 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Just hope we can get this game out of the way without picking up any injuries really. At best we will have only two forwards on the bench. If Jewitt isn’t fit we won’t even have that.

We really do have to hope!

Can't see us finishing a season without some signings, either on loan or real. I can understand caution in the early pre-season but to start the season this short of players can't be a game plan surely, there must be a shortage of funds? Otherwise we should have at least held on to the youngsters that have been allowed to go.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/04/2021 4:24 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

You have to remember we have a very small squad due to previous issues

sadly even before the first game we had Tomkins,cook,jewitt,clough ,  Hatton ?
all injured, without playing a game for a year

on top we have now lost 2 of the better players to COVID and it’s a cup match so no loan players will be allowed to play

the fraud have not being doing too well so, hey ho let’s go see what our team can do

onwards and upwards

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/04/2021 4:31 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Quick look around on the web, assuming the info is up to date:

We have a squad of 26

Halifax have 26

Dewsbury have 29

Oldham have 29

Bradford have 32 plus academy

Sheffield have 30

Interesting.....

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/04/2021 5:30 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

So that’s a small squad like Halifax then, interesting to see how many of theirs were injured before a ball had been kicked

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/04/2021 6:27 pm
 Dan1
(@dan1)
Honorable Member

With covid around you have to allow for the potential of a few being sidelined. To go into the season with such a small squad, especially in the forwards is a risk. We are relying on 2 young lads aged 20/21 to play week in week out in the forwards.  Without 2 props, a hooker and a 2nd row to rotate from the bench it must affect the game plan.

Even more of a worry, this is only after game 1! Forwards get injured as its a tough position, as the absence of O'Neil and Cook shows. What state will we be in 5 or 6 games in. Is that why we didn't play any friendlies?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/04/2021 10:25 pm
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

Don’t think Jewitt will be fit, so that leaves us with 19. 19/20 fit players after round 1. How has it come to this?

Injuries, COVID, a lack of Finances and nobody available with the quality we have or want for the money we can afford. Just as an aside, the three games we have played after a year off have been 2 wins and a draw (or half a win as the RFL would have it). Keep some of your powder dry for next week after the Salford game 😁😁

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/04/2021 4:15 am
(@spelly)
Noble Member

You really seem to be struggling for numbers, but.............

I soooooooooooooooo hope you can pull off a shock win!

It happens very rarely I know, but we did it at Huddersfield a year or two since, so it can be done!

All the best from your Swinton member!

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/04/2021 6:59 am
(@frankg)
Noble Member

It's a funny old game as they say.

If we had managed to build on the half time lead against Newcastle and win comfortably as many predicted, the discussion on here would be about the (remote) possibility of bringing off a shock result by beating Salford. Now we have stooped to discussing whether or not we could withdraw because we are likely to be hammered!

Salford have not exactly had a brilliant start to the season, but a good result for us would be a decent performance, giving Salford a hard game and no more injuries.

I am not sure about spending £4.95 to watch it all unfold!! Maybe better investing it on a horse in the Grand National.

Cloth Cap - the RL image that SL have been trying to ditch for years

Any Second Now - Capey may say something positive about Widnes

Taking Risks - What Widnes have done by having a small squad and signing players with a history of injuries

Shattered Love - How many fans have fallen out with the game

Definitely Red - Spelly's selection and his prediction of the result on Saturday

The Long Mile - How this season will feel if we don't bring in some further signings

My selection Kimberlite Candy at 12/1 - probably as much chance as Widnes for a win!

Good luck to everyone, particularly Widnes for a shock result.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/04/2021 8:19 am
(@spelly)
Noble Member

It’s a funny old game as they say. If we had managed to build on the half time lead against Newcastle and win comfortably as many predicted, the discussion on here would be about the (remote) possibility of bringing off a shock result by beating Salford. Now we have stooped to discussing whether or not we could withdraw because we are likely to be hammered! Salford have not exactly had a brilliant start to the season, but a good result for us would be a decent performance, giving Salford a hard game and no more injuries. I am not sure about spending £4.95 to watch it all unfold!! Maybe better investing it on a horse in the Grand National. Cloth Cap – the RL image that SL have been trying to ditch for years Any Second Now – Capey may say something positive about Widnes Taking Risks – What Widnes have done by having a small squad and signing players with a history of injuries Shattered Love – How many fans have fallen out with the game Definitely Red – Spelly’s selection and his prediction of the result on Saturday The Long Mile – How this season will feel if we don’t bring in some further signings My selection Kimberlite Candy at 12/1 – probably as much chance as Widnes for a win! Good luck to everyone, particularly Widnes for a shock result.

LOLOLOL

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/04/2021 9:32 am
(@scouseviking55)
Reputable Member

I don’t believe ‘lack of finances’ as a reason. Forgive me if I’m wrong but on James’ podcast Finney said we were in a strong position that wouldn’t suggest lack of finances to me. In our position with injuries already and Covid risk and showing we can’t even pick a 21 man squad we have no choice but to dip into the market because this can’t carry on after 3 competitive games

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/04/2021 10:03 am
Page 1 / 7
Share: