Notifications
Clear all

PNG Vikings?

Page 1 / 2
Steve
(@steve)
Honorable Member

A thought just crossed my mind. When PNG come over for the RLWC it will be their first visit since the loss of Ottio. I doubt they will have much travelling support so wondered if the fans and, or club have thought of “adopting” them to support in their games?

Just thought it might be a nice touch and an opportunity for links between PNG and Widnes to be maintained. Maybe a banner? Maybe a it more adventurous hybrid Vikings / PNG shirt? I think it’d be great to lend our support and also a great way of raising the club profile on an international stage

Topic starter Posted : 28/06/2021 1:22 am
(@wombat)
Trusted Member

Think this is a great idea and a good marketing opportunity. On the Islands they are Rugby League mad and who know we could even end up with big lad or two wanting to join us.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2021 7:49 am
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

Just a shame artificial pitches aren't permitted; or we could have hosted a game.

That's the only downside to the 3G really - losing out on Challenge Cup semi-finals, Championship Grand Finals and internationals, especially for a town our size. But I guess the community usage outweighs that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2021 10:10 am
(@spelly)
Noble Member

Just a shame artificial pitches aren’t permitted; or we could have hosted a game. That’s the only downside to the 3G really – losing out on Challenge Cup semi-finals, Championship Grand Finals and internationals, especially for a town our size. But I guess the community usage outweighs that.

Are they now banned? Has summat changed?

You've hosted WC games in the past, and our play-off final too.

PNG are my second team internationally. A country that has RL as its national sport!

I love their shirts as well. Really smart!

As a matter of interest, is the "grass" used regularly during the week? Is soccer still played there?

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2021 10:30 am
(@frankg)
Noble Member

What is our reputation in PNG after the way the Albert brothers were treated? They were brought here by Rule on a false promise, as he would have been aware of the parlous state of the club's finances and that Administration was not far away.

Perhaps a hand of friendship and an apology would be appropriate.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2021 10:33 am
(@spideylizard)
Estimable Member

Just a shame artificial pitches aren’t permitted; or we could have hosted a game. That’s the only downside to the 3G really – losing out on Challenge Cup semi-finals, Championship Grand Finals and internationals, especially for a town our size. But I guess the community usage outweighs that.

I thought by now they would have been permitted as on the rise. I think Hybrids seem to be the pitch of choice for new grounds

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2021 6:57 pm
(@sunny)
Noble Member

What is our reputation in PNG after the way the Albert brothers were treated? They were brought here by Rule on a false promise, as he would have been aware of the parlous state of the club’s finances and that Administration was not far away. Perhaps a hand of friendship and an apology would be appropriate.

I submit that Widnes Vikings Rugby Club doesn't have anything at all to apologise for.

The Albert Bros were really padding for Ottio, they weren't up to scratch as players and presumably were dealt with in accordance with their contracts? The move to the UK didn't work our for them - it happens!

Considering the monies and merchandise we sent to PNG I would have thought our reputation ought to be high there.

No apology necessary.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2021 9:21 pm
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

I think Wellington was hard done to in that he got his contract written off during the admin period through no fault of his own (along with Inu and Tangata). Would have done fine in the championship but happened to be injured at the wrong time. Stanton didn’t really seem to settle for whatever reason. Maybe homesick, maybe just wasn’t good enough. Hard to know.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2021 9:41 pm
Gofyn
(@gofyn)
Estimable Member

I get to see Wellington play for Keighley at crusaders on Sunday. Never actually seen him play.

What a great tribute. Even an open training session would be nice. I am sure they have some celebration dance to honner thier brothers

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2021 6:58 am
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

How did he perform?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2021 7:08 am
(@frankg)
Noble Member

I get to see Wellington play for Keighley at crusaders on Sunday. Never actually seen him play. What a great tribute. Even an open training session would be nice. I am sure they have some celebration dance to honner thier brothers

Great idea.  If the World Cup goes ahead, I believe that PNG will be based in Warrington. It would be good PR to host some kind of event for the team at Widnes. You never know, there may be one or two players we could look at for next season.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2021 8:25 am
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Not sure PNG players travel that well.Wellington looked outstanding in the previous comp in the games at Port Moresby but a fish out of water here.I know there are other examples such as Lam and Gene, granted.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2021 9:18 am
Gofyn
(@gofyn)
Estimable Member

It is this weekend MT

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2021 9:32 am
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

Sorry I read get as got. No idea why!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2021 9:42 am
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

I get to see Wellington play for Keighley at crusaders on Sunday. Never actually seen him play. What a great tribute. Even an open training session would be nice. I am sure they have some celebration dance to honner thier brothers

You won't, he's out for the season through injury.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2021 10:46 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: