Notifications
Clear all

Ottawa

Page 1 / 2
Steve
(@steve)
Honorable Member

News today that Ottawa are getting cold feet and have deferred their entry to League 1 until 2022. No word as yet on what this means for the players next season, but I expect that some will be looking for one year contracts, with an option to extend!

between them and the Toronto players, surely our new coach might be able to pick up a couple?

Topic starter Posted : 05/11/2020 9:21 pm
(@anotherposter)
Reputable Member

Given that they took half a dozen or so from us would you take any of them back?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/11/2020 9:32 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Some decent players gone there, but our budget may dictate otherwise.

At the end of the day, I would take Johnson and Wilde back but not lose too much sleep over it really.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/11/2020 10:19 pm
(@viking25)
Prominent Member

The only one I’d have back is Ashall- not sure he’d want to come back though

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/11/2020 10:48 pm
 Dan1
(@dan1)
Honorable Member

I would have Johnson back on the wing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/11/2020 10:53 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Hardly worth for a year, then they'll be offf again. Olbison would be worth it from TWP.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/11/2020 11:27 pm
(@cumbria-viking)
Reputable Member

Be interesting with Torontos fate and Ottawa  pulling for 2021 if we make any moves for players...personally I think only Wilde n johnson worth it as far as ottawa go ...few names at Toronto that may come up...olbison..dixon..sidlow etc ...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/11/2020 12:25 am
(@geoffw)
Prominent Member

I'd take winger Johnson & Jay Chapelhow.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/11/2020 1:42 am
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

Given Toronto could bear the cost with the (relatively speaking) large funds available to SL clubs I would have thought Ottawa pulling out of the competition at their entry level was inevitable. I’m not sure they will make the starting line in 2022 either.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/11/2020 7:20 am
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

He might sign for Salford now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/11/2020 9:19 am
(@viking-man)
Reputable Member

Sam Wilde is the standout from the local players that signed for Ottawa.  With Jack Johnson just behind.  I feel we've replaced the others quite well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/11/2020 9:36 am
 Owl
(@owl)
Trusted Member

News today that Ottawa are getting cold feet and have deferred their entry to League 1 until 2022. No word as yet on what this means for the players next season, but I expect that some will be looking for one year contracts, with an option to extend! between them and the Toronto players, surely our new coach might be able to pick up a couple?

getting cold feet

have they any choice given the covid situation?

Lots of posts on here assume that going into Feb/Mar it will not be a problem............

think about it...............furlough scheme runs till end of Marc suggests the government are not expecting normallity....crowds.....March/Apl big big ????????????????

This will be here till at least summer 2021 as a barrier to normal rugby league meybe even longer

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/11/2020 10:58 am
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

When he does play, he plays in the same position as the club captain.

Wilde and Johnson are no brainers. Would have a look at Fozard as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/11/2020 2:41 pm
(@frankg)
Noble Member

Have Ottawa announced that they are releasing the players that they have signed? My guess is that without the opportunity to progress to SL. which seems unlikely with the TWP decision, both Ottawa and NY will not join the League.

There will be a lot of players looking for a new clubs with no reserve league in 2021, in addition to the TWP and Ottawa players, as well as SL clubs, with usual few exceptions,  cutting back on new signings and planning to bring in players from their Academies.

Of those mentioned, I would agree that Wilde, Johnson and Fozard are worth pursuing. I would also consider Ellis Robson.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/11/2020 3:21 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

There are no guarantees re Covid 19, for anyone or any sport atm.

Two problems for us are being PT would not suit some, atm we cannot be sure just how we will finance next year until we have more positive programme. Hopefully VIQI will continue throughout  but a lack of ST or a reduction in ST sales could pose real problems.

Widnes RLFC is like most businesses these days and they will all be cautious, of necessity.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/11/2020 3:27 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: