Notifications
Clear all

Old head needed

(@welsh-viking)

I think we all know we don't have a lot of money to make changes to the coaching staff or playing roster but I think the club should look at bringing in someone to help Finnigan who has a lot of coaching experience.  Maybe this could be done on a month by month basis.  Someone like Neil Kelly springs to mind.

Topic starter Posted : 10/05/2021 12:46 pm
 J.Mc
(@j-mc)
Eminent Member

Might well work, worth a try, but for me the problem is the players

Finny didn't pick this team he inherited them, the youngsters need guidance off the oldheads but they aren't there for them.

Didn't see much of anyone taking charge or trying to organise things

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2021 1:01 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

We had an old head in Sheens - and he left. Questions must still be asked as to why, as it must have some connection to the current state we find ourselves in.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2021 1:10 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

We had an old head in Sheens – and he left. Questions must still be asked as to why, as it must have some connection to the current state we find ourselves in.

Not really sure why we need to the reasons? What difference does it make, he left because he knew we would struggle this year? Well we can’t change decisions made 6 months ago can we. The biggest abomination is the gutless clowns who are currently playing in black and white every weekend.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2021 1:18 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

We had an old head in Sheens – and he left. Questions must still be asked as to why, as it must have some connection to the current state we find ourselves in.

Not really sure why we need to the reasons? What difference does it make, he left because he knew we would struggle this year? Well we can’t change decisions made 6 months ago can we. The biggest abomination is the gutless clowns who are currently playing in black and white every weekend.

Precisely the point. An old head isn't going to solve some of the issues it seems.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2021 1:22 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

I will be honest, I was not convinced about Sheens when he first he came to the club, the whole episode seemed dubious from the start. Even with him at the helm, I don’t think we looked the team we should.

People will no doubt defend the “young” players in the team but ultimately, you have Hatton and Edge who couldn’t tackle a plastic bag, their ineptitude in defence was down to them been poor players, not experienced. Tyer and Baker are becoming liabilities in defence.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2021 1:56 pm
 Dan1
(@dan1)
Honorable Member

I wanted to know why Sheens left, I still think its odd why no one said anything yet he's still here and coaching the exiles side next month.

Finnigan had Betts at Newcastle as a former GB player and experienced head coach, here he has no one. The only person at the club to my knowledge with any pro RL experience is Finnigan. That's from board level to Strength and conditioning, assistant coaches etc. Do we have anyone else that I don't know about? Part of it is knowledge at the elite level and part of it is respect from players and a role model to look up to and have an aura and some authority.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2021 2:15 pm
 JJ65
(@richard-richard)
Reputable Member

I think he seen the iceberg and dodged it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2021 2:21 pm
(@bedford-viking)
Trusted Member

Maybe Sheens needed a job to stay in the country. Maybe he wanted/needed to extend his visa/work permit and so took the Widnes job to achieve this. Just a thought.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2021 4:46 pm
 J.Mc
(@j-mc)
Eminent Member

Why go over the Sheens exit it is history and BOTH parties said reasons were private. Private means not for general public knowledge. We would all like answers to things but sometimes you have to accept we aren't .

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2021 8:50 pm
Share: