Notifications
Clear all

London Broncos

Page 1 / 2
(@mick-george)
Prominent Member

Championship side London Broncos will move to a part-time set-up for the 2022 season onwards, as they prepare for a reduced central funding distribution.

Broncos had been running as a full-time operation despite relegation from Super League in 2019.
The club parted company with coach Danny Ward this season as hopes of a top-flight return did not materialise.

Super League's reduced television deal has meant a smaller drip-down sum of money for the lower divisions to share.

From what had previously been a total of £40m divided between Super League and then a chunk filtered down, from 2022 it is believed to be closer to £25-30m.

From that, Super League interim chairman Ken Davy says about £5m will be handed to the Rugby Football League, who will filter the funds through to Championship and League One clubs.

In a statement, Broncos said: "Financially, the club will be receiving a vastly reduced central distribution in 2022 and we have had to make changes to offset this reduction which has led to the decision that has been taken by the club.

"The London Broncos will increase the level of financial input into our highly successful Academy and Scholarship programme as well as work with the Community game in London and the South East to continue to develop professional rugby league players as we take the opportunity to restructure the club ahead of our planned move to Plough Lane in 2022.

"Off the field a huge amount of work is being undertaken in several areas to ensure that rugby league in London continues to thrive and that the Broncos are able to return stronger for a promotion push in seasons to come with a squad littered with home grown players and a solid supporter base in our new home."

Topic starter Posted : 07/09/2021 1:10 pm
(@spelly)
Noble Member

Hardly surprising is it?

350 there at their last home match, which at (say) £20 each brings in circa seven grand, and won't go far to paying FT players.

I realise they've currently on the existing SL "handout" money, but thinking abead, which they appear to be doing, they had no option in my opinion.

Seen 'em twice this campaign, and whilst we've lost both times, they looked nowt special. So with even less dosh coming in, I reckon they'll be haerrmoraging players over the close season, and a team from the capital dining at the top table, is highly unlikely in the forseeable.

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2021 2:10 pm
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

Tough times ahead for London. I wish them well. Think that it is fairly obvious RL is never going to take off in the capital, certainly not in the forseeable future and probably not ever but I hope they manage to survive.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2021 8:24 pm
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

Tough times ahead for London. I wish them well. Think that it is fairly obvious RL is never going to take off in the capital, certainly not in the forseeable future and probably not ever but I hope they manage to survive.

Tough times ahead for the game in general, MT.

The problem has always been setting up a team for the top league without any underlying (club) development path or fan base. London (Fulham) we’re the flawed blueprint.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2021 11:58 pm
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

Just adding to my last post - the last paragraph of Ken Davy’s statement says it all - that is what Fulham should have done 40 years ago and is what the chocolate teapot this is the RFL should insist upon (and provide the necessary support for) all clubs playing in the ‘professional’ league structure.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/09/2021 12:48 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

We complain about the management that almost saw us dead as a club but the SL/RFL management is no better tbh.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/09/2021 10:04 am
(@gpo1971)
Honorable Member

Can't see this move being anything other than the start of a free-fall for them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/09/2021 12:39 pm
Former Chemic
(@former-chemic)
Honorable Member

“Can’t see this move being anything other than the start of a free-fall for them”

I sincerely hope not, I don’t want to see any RL club disappear and especially London, who have done a lot of hard work trying to raise the RL profile in the southeast.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/09/2021 4:34 pm
(@torn-sock-1)
Estimable Member

Hopefully they'll be fine. Think they'll be mediocre for a while, but there will be untapped talent down there & their youth/community work will come to fruition, it will just take time.

Hope it all works out for them, and in X no. of years the RFL can see the wisdom of giving things time to succeed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/09/2021 4:44 pm
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

Hopefully they’ll be fine. Think they’ll be mediocre for a while, but there will be untapped talent down there & their youth/community work will come to fruition, it will just take time. Hope it all works out for them, and in X no. of years the RFL can see the wisdom of giving things time to succeed.

I hope they survive too but they have to adopt sensible expectations and approach. They also have to face up to the fact that they are going to get minimal support from the RFL ( the latest example being the significant reduction in funding for 2022 onwards).

It also has to be recognised that they have had 40 years to get it right and, one or two exceptions not withstanding, they have failed. Unless they focus on kids and a clear pathway through to first team adult rugby they will disappear sooner rather than later - and they won’t be on their own.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/09/2021 1:18 am
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

It’s a sensible move and with their move to plough lane I think they can begin to build the fan base they need and survive.

with noises about other teams going full time in the championship where are they getting their money from ? Is it all benefactors ( realise Newcastle is backed by falcons)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/09/2021 6:28 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

It’s a sensible move and with their move to plough lane I think they can begin to build the fan base they need and survive. with noises about other teams going full time in the championship where are they getting their money from ? Is it all benefactors ( realise Newcastle is backed by falcons)

Aren't Toulouse also jointly owned by RU owners?

The introduction of the Twelve-a-Side competition now being heavily promoted looks like a money making sideshow much like the Cricketing sideshow games. The games will be in the RU off season and our season!!!!! To me there is the obvious chance to use the RL squads to provide players/training/coaching etc.

Of course our RFL/SL managers will be caught short yet again. We need an urgent re-think and action to keep our game in the fight for summer supporters, somehow!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/09/2021 9:49 am
(@frankg)
Noble Member

A sensible move. At least they are making an effort to develop the game in the local community and bring through young players to their squad. They have not had a bad season with 11 wins and still almost certain to qualify for the play-offs  - I think only Whitehaven can overtake them.

As a matter of interest, is it still possible for players to be signed for the play-offs as used to be the case. If so, it would be an interesting scenario if some benefactor decided to have a punt on London and funded the signing of several NRL players on short contracts for the play-offs.

If they can have a decent season next year, the move to a permanent home gives them an opportunity to build a local fan base. Good luck to them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/09/2021 10:08 am
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

NRL players will be in lockdown I think - they don’t have international travel at the moment Frank.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/09/2021 10:40 am
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

It’s a sensible move and with their move to plough lane I think they can begin to build the fan base they need and survive. with noises about other teams going full time in the championship where are they getting their money from ? Is it all benefactors ( realise Newcastle is backed by falcons)

Aren’t Toulouse also jointly owned by RU owners? The introduction of the Twelve-a-Side competition now being heavily promoted looks like a money making sideshow much like the Cricketing sideshow games. The games will be in the RU off season and our season!!!!! To me there is the obvious chance to use the RL squads to provide players/training/coaching etc. Of course our RFL/SL managers will be caught short yet again. We need an urgent re-think and action to keep our game in the fight for summer supporters, somehow!

you could well be right, but I have already assumed they are flown, love to have carcassonne in the league though

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2021 4:32 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: