Notifications
Clear all

Leigh get the nod for Super League

Page 1 / 2
(@geoffw)
Prominent Member

For once I believe the correct decision has been made. They will do well to survive but they are the sensible choice. They will take support to SL teams this side of the Pennines in particular. This is good for heartlands rugby league. From a selfish point of view our Vikings also have a much better chance of beating Newcastle than Leigh.  Good luck to them!

Topic starter Posted : 14/12/2020 12:56 pm
(@magnus)
Eminent Member

Yup, I'd agree with this. A solid club and glad they made the table with the big boys.

Can't help but think they are drinking from a poisoned chalice but good luck to them.

There was a time when I would have been frustrated at Widnes not putting their hat in the ring but ultimately we are not ready. Also, I think I've given up on Super League anyways.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/12/2020 1:21 pm
(@ringo-bells)
Trusted Member

Yeah, good for Leigh, but I too think they will do well to even compete never mind survive and I am glad we didn't apply!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/12/2020 1:33 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Yup, I’d agree with this. A solid club and glad they made the table with the big boys.

Can’t help but think they are drinking from a poisoned chalice but good luck to them.

There was a time when I would have been frustrated at Widnes not putting their hat in the ring but ultiately we are not ready. Also, I think I’ve given up on Super League anyways.

The continued financial input, above and beyond the crowd funding, is the continuing essential for success I'm afraid.

We have done brilliantly to survive at all and the love of the game is still alive in the town, but isn't enough to encourage massive expenditure. Just how the country comes out of its present mess might change things but I fear that we will struggle on the financial front. At least we seem to have a management that realises what we can afford and will spend wisely.

Competitive games at Championship level will be good for us as spectators at least.Winning the big prizes in SL will be reserved for the wealthy clubs and maintain the 'same old same old' tradition.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/12/2020 1:40 pm
(@carpet-crawler)
Trusted Member

Well done Leigh. Beaumont will be "made up" I'm sure, but they'll be on the end of some serious hammerings week in, week out. Not what I'd consider enjoyable if I was a Leigh fan but it is what it is.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/12/2020 1:43 pm
(@frankg)
Noble Member

Widnes fans went back each week to see Widnes get some hammerings in SL, but not enjoyable. It was more in the hope that it could not get worse - but it did!!! Leigh had an average crowd of 6300 when last in SL and will be aiming for similar or more in  2021. Probably better chance of survival than other five contenders for SL place and the likes of Salford, HKR and possibly Wakefield may be worried about their future SL place.

We had almost 6000 at the home game against Leigh on Good Friday 2019. This would have included a substantial number of Leigh fans. Can't see Newcastle bringing many fans to away games, so a financial hit for most clubs in the Championship.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/12/2020 2:10 pm
(@frankg)
Noble Member

I’ve had a look at that Leigh squad and I can’t see what the fuss is about, people saying they have a team that can compete in SL.They will obviously be adding players but only those without a club, surplus to requirements.

I guess most signings are of players surplus to requirements at other clubs.

In SL, there are probably 4 clubs vying for top place (Wigan, St Helens, Leeds and Warrington?); 4 clubs who probably have no chance of winning the league and unlikely to be relegated (Catalan, Huddersfield, Hull and Castleford?); and 4 clubs struggling to avoid finishing bottom (Leigh, Salford, Wakefield and HKR?). It is possible that Leigh could avoid bottom place.

Not sure how Warrington will do this year and Hull may improve. I also wonder how SL would re-act if the likes of Leeds and Wigan had a disastrous season and finished bottom of the league.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/12/2020 4:01 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

I give them some credit for applying, it works for me - no hard games against them ( however home good attendance lost )

wecstill have Toulouse in the league - hopefully we can travel to that

and Newcastle as well, another great away weekend

onwards and upwards

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/12/2020 5:57 pm
(@spelly)
Noble Member

Disappointed in a  personal, selfish, and financial point of view for the Lions, as the Leythers would've brought 1,000-ish to our place, so that's about ten grand less that'll be going into our bank account, due to their "promotion" to the top tier.

They've been there twice, and failed both times, so with the squad they've assembled, will they be able to finish eleventh or better, come the end of term? Only time will tell, but I'm not holding my breath.

My choice would've been Toulouse, but at least the good news is that it wasn't Bradfraud, which I was relieved about, coz I must admit that I had a gut feeling Kear's Crew would get the nod.

I reckon Olympique will be the "properly" promoted team, and will be lining up with the big boys in 2022.

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/12/2020 11:00 am
(@torn-sock-1)
Estimable Member

Good luck to Leigh, but in many ways this could work well for Toulouse, with one of, if not their biggest rival gone & then next year if they get promoted it will be on a much more level playing field.

Still not sure on the decision. Will the fact that clubs will now save £x not having to travel to France come in to the equation?

If it costs £10k to travel and stay in France for a club (At least?), then that's £110k (Minus the trip to Leigh!!) saved for the wider good & 100k at any time, never mind Covid times will be appealing and might have factored into the equation.

The other thing with the RFL having no constitution about rules and timeframes means that they can change them whenever they want. So if Toulouse did get promoted next year when hopefully things are back to normal then they might "close the shop".

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/12/2020 11:43 am
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Signed Anthony Gelling.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/04/2021 1:05 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

Now he could have played hooker

waste of money for Leigh, desperation stakes

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/04/2021 1:16 pm
(@magnus)
Eminent Member

Now he could have played hooker waste of money for Leigh, desperation stakes

A little unfair. I think he has something left to offer still and he could do quite well in a Leigh side.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/04/2021 2:10 pm
(@ceejay1)
Reputable Member

Isn't he due back in court for battering his wife/partner?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/04/2021 2:58 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

Now he could have played hooker waste of money for Leigh, desperation stakes

A little unfair. I think he has something left to offer still and he could do quite well in a Leigh side.

time will tell - he started well with Widnes and then became anonymous, he will probably do the same at leigh

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/04/2021 3:09 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: