Notifications
Clear all

League 1 promotion

Former Chemic
(@former-chemic)
Honorable Member

Who will replace whoever it is that moves up to SL?

Top of suspended League 1 table Hunslet say they aren’t interested and I would prefer either Barrow or Newcastle.

They have very different club histories but would both add value to the Championship in terms of playing good rugby, even if they are unlikely to bring large numbers of visiting spectators.

Topic starter Posted : 20/11/2020 11:12 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

I think that it has to come between Newcastle and Barrow, Barrow were 2nd Bottom and relegated in the last full season and Newcastle lost the play-off to Oldham.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/11/2020 11:18 pm
(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

I would think it would be Newcastle, especially as the RL are trying to expand the game. And we could still have our own little Magic Weekend when playing them away!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/11/2020 1:11 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Good point Farnworth! Sadly we seem to be rare in the Championship these days as far as following the team is concerned. A mini Magic would help revive that and also benefit Newcastle too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/11/2020 2:07 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Rochdale are applying too, enjoyed the away trip to Spotland to be fair.

Some of the L1 clubs may be glad if Newcastle go up, with the travelling, plus more chance for those unsuccessful applicants to win the league.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/11/2020 3:24 pm
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

I would imagine Newcastle will get the nod as they have more potential than teams like Barrow and Rochdale who have been around since the year dot and will always be playing in front of smallish crowds. It’s debatable if it is fair that this should be the case but I think it will be the outcome.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/11/2020 10:47 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

On balance it makes sense in that it does geographically expand the M62 corridor group and also cashes in on the Magic Weekend investment. It could encourage Scottish expansion at some time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/11/2020 5:23 pm
Share: