Notifications
Clear all

FAO Flash

Page 1 / 4
(@widneswilly)

Still of the view that the rugby side of the club is beyond reproach?  CEO best man for the job?  Coach up to it?

Might be an idea if yourself or Cheveau did a piece on the absolute shambles this club has become since the fans put their hands in their pockets.  I won't hold my breath, would rock the boat too much...

Topic starter Posted : 24/04/2021 4:55 pm
Steve
(@steve)
Honorable Member

WW can’t disagree with the poor state of affairs we see on the pitch today, but what was the alternative to the “fans putting hands in their pockets”?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/04/2021 5:05 pm
(@widneswilly)

WW can’t disagree with the poor state of affairs we see on the pitch today, but what was the alternative to the “fans putting hands in their pockets”?

There were alternatives but let’s no go over old ground.  I don’t have a problem with us all chipping in to “save” the club.

I have a problem with incompetent clowns  slashing away the supporters hard earned and any goodwill.  All while the likes of Flash and Cheveau defend them.

Serious predictable deep rooted issues at the club but you hear nothing about it.  Everything’s grand, look over there...

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 24/04/2021 5:11 pm
(@tonyvikinggee)
Estimable Member

This isnt a team that should be playing to this standard, there are some good players in this squad that you would expect more from. I think people do underestimate at times how important a coach is to performance and confidence.

This club is still recovering from almost going out of existence, i know people dont like to read that and view it as an excuse but its true. We are aiming for a mid to upper mid table position this season, we have recruited a squad to that level. The issue is under performance from the team.

We can bitch and moan like little kids about who is running the club and what they dont provide, but at the end of the day they are the ones who stood up to save us, there was no queue forming. Who was the other main contender, the guy who shut bury down and made his money asset stripping struggling businesses?

If we can find a decent coach, we can save this season, or at least not get relegated. Issue is we probably need Finnigan to walk since we probably cant afford to pay his contract off.

This is where we are, we are a cash strapped club. We have no academy, we are not special, we are not a big club anymore. We play on a plastic pitch that Pro's hate to play on and there are players who wont sign for a club that plays on a pitch like that. We have to make the best of a bad situation. Attacking everyone at the club and their dog is no solution.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/04/2021 5:17 pm
(@griffin1)
Estimable Member

I do not buy the plastic pitch any more, it did not stop players who had played at the top levels of world rugby signing for Toronto, and London managed to put together a decent squad.

There is no way that a coach should allow a player in the state of fitness that Matty Smith is in to even be on the field , let alone captain. All it shows is that the club has boundaries for players respect for the club and the impression is that the player has no respect for the club, the fans or himself.

Do not get me wrong, Smith is not by himself, and seasoned professionals should be able to achieve a decent level of fitness without the club providing full time fitness trainers.

Surely the club must have some sort of contingency plan for such a situation to enable them to replace the coach in the case of a poor choice having been made.

I expected us to be on 6 points tonight, not being lucky to be on 1 and I would give Finnegan two more games to turn it around. The last thing I could stand is a slow and painful demise like we had to ensure under Cummins etc.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/04/2021 5:42 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

Still of the view that the rugby side of the club is beyond reproach? CEO best man for the job? Coach up to it? Might be an idea if yourself or Cheveau did a piece on the absolute shambles this club has become since the fans put their hands in their pockets. I won’t hold my breath, would rock the boat too much…

Maybe you want to come from behind your cloak of anonymity and ask questions yourself?

I've never said the rugby side of the club is beyond reproach. I never said the CEO was the best man for the job, or indeed that the coach was.

I ask questions, that's all I can do. Like when I asked the question (via a FOI) to uncover the debt the (old) club owed to the council. Like when I asked the questions of VIQI that led to them putting in a board and increase their transparency. I asked Phil why Sheens left; I asked Sheens why he left. I asked Phil about the financial situation of the club, he told me.

You have no god given right to whatever information you think is being hidden from you.

The club is privately owned. They are not obliged to tell you or I anything.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/04/2021 6:59 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Looks like Willy has dropped out of this one.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/04/2021 10:30 pm
(@widneswilly)

Not at all, I replied but the post has “disappeared”.  Presumably didn’t fit the narrative this forum is pushing.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/04/2021 1:23 am
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

Still of the view that the rugby side of the club is beyond reproach? CEO best man for the job? Coach up to it? Might be an idea if yourself or Cheveau did a piece on the absolute shambles this club has become since the fans put their hands in their pockets. I won’t hold my breath, would rock the boat too much…

Maybe you want to come from behind your cloak of anonymity and ask questions yourself? I’ve never said the rugby side of the club is beyond reproach. I never said the CEO was the best man for the job, or indeed that the coach was. I ask questions, that’s all I can do. Like when I asked the question (via a FOI) to uncover the debt the (old) club owed to the council. Like when I asked the questions of VIQI that led to them putting in a board and increase their transparency. I asked Phil why Sheens left; I asked Sheens why he left. I asked Phil about the financial situation of the club, he told me. You have no god given right to whatever information you think is being hidden from you. The club is privately owned. They are not obliged to tell you or I anything.

Very sensible post.

As somebody wrote on a different post, everybody is entitled to an opinion but the opinion is relatively worthless if it can’t be shown to be based upon fact.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/04/2021 1:27 am
(@johnnyboy)
Reputable Member

Flash I’m not calling you or Ian as I think you put an awful lot into this forum and the blogs, etc. Think it’s very unfair to have targeted you in this post and in the cold light of day may have been an overreaction to the utter garbage served up yesterday.

As to our reactions to yesterday it’s only natural as I have calmed down and having second thoughts about cancelling VIQI payments, etc  (as I was considering last night).

Ask me the same if we lose to Swindon next week and I may have changed my mind again...

But once again thanks for all you do on the media front.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/04/2021 7:36 am
Former Chemic
(@former-chemic)
Honorable Member

For what it’s worth RV, I completely agree with you, Flash has made some very good points.

But you’re guilty of falling into the established trap of dismissing other people’s views by always asking for evidence.

An opinion is not based on facts; it’s an idea or belief that is sincerely held but not based on evidence.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/04/2021 7:54 am
(@torn-sock-1)
Estimable Member

Very true F.C.

The problem on this forum, social media & society in general these days however is that once an opinion has been voiced and discussed a couple of times then said opinion is used as gospel to further the "debate".

This is how rumours gain traction these days and then used as a stick to beat someone, despite it being a complete fabrication.

Back to the facts if a team isn't fit enough in rugby it will get found out very quickly. Not a sport you can hide in, especially if all/most of the team are unfit. By all accounts the commentator noticed Widnes were blowing out of their backsides after only 20 mins, down the slope, against Batley. Imagine if they have to go Toulouse in the summer when it's warm!!

If they don't get fit the results will continue. Coach not wanting friendlies can go both ways, but "professional" athletes taking the mick with their bodies will render most coaching redundant anyway. Fitness and match fitness are 2 totally different things as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/04/2021 8:14 am
(@a-cape)
Reputable Member

The simple fact is that the team we all support are an utter shambles. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask questions about all things WV. The honeymoon period and the we saved our club hysteria has gone. The club say there’s money for players, well bloody buy some, because what we’ve seen so far this year is beyond a joke. The coach looks a beaten man, play the after match interviews from the past 2 weeks and it’s a carbon copy. The levels of fitness shown by the players is utterly unacceptable.

It’s not a pop at you by the way Flash, but the fans DO deserve to know what’s going on because don’t VIQI own 11% of the club?

At the moment, there is absolutely nothing to be positive about.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/04/2021 8:21 am
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

Not at all, I replied but the post has “disappeared”. Presumably didn’t fit the narrative this forum is pushing.

I've not deleted anything, I very rarely do on this forum. Feel free to post again.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/04/2021 8:58 am
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

The simple fact is that the team we all support are an utter shambles. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask questions about all things WV. The honeymoon period and the we saved our club hysteria has gone. The club say there’s money for players, well bloody buy some, because what we’ve seen so far this year is beyond a joke. The coach looks a beaten man, play the after match interviews from the past 2 weeks and it’s a carbon copy. The levels of fitness shown by the players is utterly unacceptable. It’s not a pop at you by the way Flash, but the fans DO deserve to know what’s going on because don’t VIQI own 11% of the club? At the moment, there is absolutely nothing to be positive about.

Not doubting that for a second. Just think if we can have some genuine questions rather than juvenile pops at the CEO or me, then maybe they can be asked?

Where have the club said there is no money for players?

Completely agree about the levels of fitness. That, in my view, is down to the players not adapting to the requirements of part-time rugby and having to keep themselves fit outside the controls of the club.

Do the fans own 11% of the club? I've never been quite sure, though I do believe "on behalf of VIQI" is a signatory. Problem is, if this is always the same person, how do fans have their say in the boardroom exactly?

When you say the fans need to know what's going on, what do you want to know? Genuinely. Not being facetious.

We've had some really bad losses. No shying away from that. But that doesn't mean that the club isn't being run prudently and sustainably. They've taken over in 2019, paid off a load of debt, then had COVID two years running. Even taking in to account the donated ST monies, that will have largely simply covered player wages - because even with the support of furlough last year, that hasn't been possible since the return to training at start of 2021 and with zero other income coming in. If the club went out and spent a shed load of money and we went bust in six months, where does that leave us?

I repeat again I've not heard anyone say that there's no money for players - I do think there is a issue in identifying and finding players to play part-time this side of the Pennines.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/04/2021 9:05 am
Page 1 / 4
Share: