Best ever RL teams

Notifications
Clear all

Best ever RL teams

(@geoffw)
Prominent Member

I cannot recall which site it was on but I came across an article listing the best ever RL Teams of all time from all over the world. I was pleased to see The Widnes Team was included for the period 1987 -1989.  I think that was the best side myself.  We had  good sides 1974 to 1982 but the football played was not as expansive or as good to watch.  It was quite nice to see us included as for some reason beyond belief we have not been recognised during this lock down for any historical match highlights  etc including Wembley final games covered. This is very strange considering our history especially during the period 1974  to 1993.

Topic starter Posted : 12/06/2020 2:16 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

The major element was sheer pace, there was always a chance of a try from anyone and from anywhere.

Great days!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/06/2020 4:12 pm
(@widnes65)

Pace skill vision and a freedom to play, great days to be a Chemics fan

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/06/2020 7:42 pm
Robbo
(@robbo)
Estimable Member

I always consider myself blessed to be around at the time Widnes had THAT team.  It was a joy to behold and I still love watching some of the old games on YouTube.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/06/2020 9:02 pm
(@gpo1971)
Honorable Member

In terms of UK RL since the late 70s, I've never seen better rugby. Wigan were more successful, very much more ruthless and efficient in terms of how they played their rugby but, for sheer excitement, I'd place our late 80s team above any of theirs. Biased? Yes, but what the hell. I literally couldn't wait for Sunday afternoons, went to virtually every single game, home or away from 88 to about 93. And the games very, very rarely disappointed. Brilliant days.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/06/2020 6:10 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

I am biased, I admit it, but that was probably one of the last of the top sides that allowed rugby instinct to dictate play. Wigan were more Aussie style disciplined, particularly in defence.

Iirc when Larder came in as coach he didn't agree with the Laughton system of allowing Macca at acting half decide the plays most of the time.

Again with Offiah, we saw him in the raw state, speed, speed speed. When Wigan added weight and discipline that rawness went, as did some of the excitement. That said, looking at him in Widnes colours on the replays makes you realize that we don't have a player in SL atm that is anywhere close in entertainment terms.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/06/2020 12:30 pm
 Owl
(@owl)
Trusted Member

I am biased, I admit it, but that was probably one of the last of the top sides that allowed rugby instinct to dictate play. Wigan were more Aussie style disciplined, particularly in defence. Iirc when Larder came in as coach he didn’t agree with the Laughton system of allowing Macca at acting half decide the plays most of the time. Again with Offiah, we saw him in the raw state, speed, speed speed. When Wigan added weight and discipline that rawness went, as did some of the excitement. That said, looking at him in Widnes colours on the replays makes you realize that we don’t have a player in SL atm that is anywhere close in entertainment terms.

What is great about the NRL at present is that the rule changes mean it`s so fast......nobody has as yet managed to dull the game down with negative coaching and hopefully never will. When we adopt this ,will our game become the entertainment it once was? Too many players have the talent coached out of them in the English academy system....all the wrestling etc etc they do in training.......

Sport is entertainment when all is said and done and if it`s boring kids especially lose interest

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/06/2020 7:17 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

The NRL has a different sort of entertainment to the 80s Widnes team. The slicknes and variety of pre rehearsed moves is brilliant but just different to the top of the head game.

I said in another post that the repeat set change reduces the positional advantage of a penalty and requires the team in possesion to play on for another six. Fitness will be tested to make the advantage pay and it does keep the game moving almost without breaks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/06/2020 7:48 pm
Share: