Are we letting the ...

Notifications
Clear all

Are we letting the players off the hook?

Page 1 / 4
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

Seemingly a lot of posts on here and social media is directed at the gaffer, the board and finney. They all have to take an ounce of responsibility but all of them passionately care about the club regardless of their competencies.

I am more incensed by what I am seeing on the field, do the players care? Some of them simply do not. The young players have hearts the size of a pea, players like Smith et al do not want to be at the club. Yes the board has made mistakes but don’t excuse the disgusting attitudes from the 13 on the field.

Topic starter Posted : 11/05/2021 12:02 pm
(@a-cape)
Reputable Member

I don’t think I’ve seen one post that doesn’t blame the players too Spikey!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/05/2021 12:16 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

I don’t think I’ve seen one post that doesn’t blame the players too Spikey!

I get that but regardless of what people think of the make up of the side, no team should perform like this team has performed. It’s not just their lack of ability but its their lack of pride in themselves that’s the issue.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/05/2021 12:23 pm
(@a-cape)
Reputable Member

Totally agree, however the buck stops with the coach, that said, the coach said he was happy with the make up of the squad before a ball was passed! Personally I think it’s a collection of failings, the board have been unbelievably naive  in its appointment of Finney as CEO, the coach was unproven and the conditioning of the players is simply inexcusable. Finally, these ‘kids’ that people keep mentioning are 20 years plus, they’re not kids, they’re all untried, granted, but some of them are mid 20s. Jesus some people were saying Kenny Baker was too good for the championship not too long ago...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/05/2021 12:30 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

They are not fit enough - and ultimately for part-time players, that's their responsibility to correct.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/05/2021 12:50 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

They are not fit enough – and ultimately for part-time players, that’s their responsibility to correct.

Why do you think that is James? Questioning a teams fitness is an old saying, in modern times where men of a certain age naturally look after their bodies better now than they did 20 years ago, it’s hard to accept why a team can’t be fit.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/05/2021 12:51 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

I think it's largely down to the fact the majority of this squad don't know what it's like to be a part-time player - they're all used to being in full-time environments, and doing their fitness training as part of that. They just haven't adapted.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/05/2021 1:52 pm
PaulieWalnuts
(@pauliewalnuts)
Honorable Member

There is fit, and there is match fit. " completely different things. The 'Old Arse' forward signings have been a disaster, does Smith & Tomkins really want to be still playing? Tyrer has been okay-ish, but has Uhu on his hands, and will starve his winger, all season. Edge, Hatton & Buckley, have played hardly any games in their careers, so regardless of their age, they are Greenhorns.

That leaves Owens, Craven, Grady as the only proper experience in the team. My worry is the manner of the capitulations against Salford, Batley & Toulouse, no fight, after the opponent got 2 scores ahead.

The club is in a mess.

Paulie xx

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/05/2021 1:58 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

We are in for a season of hammerings apart from (hopefully) games against Haven, Swinton, Oldham and Newcastle.All other games are write offs, home and away.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/05/2021 2:19 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

There is fit, and there is match fit. ” completely different things. The ‘Old Arse’ forward signings have been a disaster, does Smith & Tomkins really want to be still playing? Tyrer has been okay-ish, but has Uhu on his hands, and will starve his winger, all season. Edge, Hatton & Buckley, have played hardly any games in their careers, so regardless of their age, they are Greenhorns. That leaves Owens, Craven, Grady as the only proper experience in the team. My worry is the manner of the capitulations against Salford, Batley & Toulouse, no fight, after the opponent got 2 scores ahead. The club is in a mess. Paulie xx

Tyer defensively appears to be a liability, Baker has been great but defensively he has to improve quickly.

when it comes to young players, do we overrate them? For instance, just because a young player plays games while young and does “okay” does that that equate to him potentially having a stella career? Most top young players hit the ground running. Too many times in the last few years, have we given young players plenty of game time out of necessity and if they do the bare minimum we immediately believe they are the answer. Look at Lyons, he’s done okay at best but never done anything outstanding, yet because he’s young, we assume he could be the answer long-term. Similar Hatton or Edge, they have done okay at times but that’s the best it’s got.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/05/2021 3:12 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

The players who are unfit need to take a good look at themselves, if you think about it the players who have been with us a while knew since Summer 19 that we would be PT so have had a lot of time to get their heads around it, even allowing for Covid.

I said on another thread that we have had a losing culture at the club for a while, I mean in Regular League terms we have by my reckoning won 26 out of our last 83 matches since the start of 2017. (1/5 this year, 3/5 last, 14/27 in 2019, 3/23 in 2018, 5/23 in 2017). I do wonder if there is something in that, in terms of mentality?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/05/2021 3:59 pm
(@dave-o)

Yes we are is the simple answer. They play the game and at present badly, tackling an embarrassment, give in to easy, clueless in attack, too many basic silly errors. It’s a team with no confidence with a coach that players don’t seem to want to play for. Getting beat is one thing but we are getting smashed by simple basic rugby is another.

This will take a lot of turning round and i would not know were to start, so many things wrong at the Club. I hope we find some people who can.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/05/2021 4:23 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Finnigan Toulouse interview on youtube now, says the players & coaches had a long chat after the game and he was critical of the effort put in.

The type of response we see against York will tell an awful lot I reckon.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/05/2021 5:17 pm
(@viking-man)
Reputable Member

Ultimately, the players were not ready for the start of the season.

The coaching staff must take full responsibility for this.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/05/2021 5:20 pm
(@a-cape)
Reputable Member

Finnigan Toulouse interview on youtube now, says the players & coaches had a long chat after the game and he was critical of the effort put in. The type of response we see against York will tell an awful lot I reckon.

He has used that excuse before another shellacking. The bloke looks as lost as the clusterfucks he puts out on the field week in, week out. Enough is enough.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/05/2021 5:59 pm
Page 1 / 4
Share: