Notifications
Clear all

A Lancashire cup in Jan?

(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

With crowds now been allowed in (I suspect in greater numbers after Christmas) should they be a a tournament similar to the Lancashire cup.

Most teams that would hypothetically participate will be likely playing each other in meaningless friendlies anyway. So why not make it a little bit more intense and add a 3 round tournament.

Obviously it would still be used in the same way friendlies are used, match fitness etc and could get much needed revenue into clubs accounts.

Topic starter Posted : 28/11/2020 8:54 pm
(@steve-mcdonald)
Trusted Member

Not a bad idea.

clubs will be desperate for money so why not?

I went to watch a friend of mine playing in the Yorkshire cup that they revived (albeit for one season only) at Bradford and there was over 3k  there.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/11/2020 12:45 am
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

I am not suggesting it will galvanise the majority fans but a trophy for winning 3 matches against your local rivals will surely be a bigger incentive than one of games like the “karlius cup”.

Side point, the multiple competitions back in the 70s and 80s, was extremely detrimental for attendances. Too many games been played, especially with many teams playing each 3 or 4 times in a season. Anyone agree?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 29/11/2020 1:00 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

If the season is going to be late starting fitness could be a problem staging early run-outs. Too much 'if' and 'but' atm.

No matter what we want the game will have to wait until the vaccine programme gets underway.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/11/2020 11:10 am
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

If SL is going to start on March 11th, will the Championship be aiming for the same weekend?

In that case I would only want us to be playing friendlies/Lancs Cup games from early Feb onwards....

I don't want any key players injured: we need a good League season.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/11/2020 1:08 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

Reckon season start will be March, maybe not first week, as mentioned in other posts is a crowd of 2000 viable, if no crowds we surely cannot be

also with regards to league 1 teams they need extra fixtures assuming they are playing each team home and away

SL teams will not be interested in extra fixtures apart from friendlies, champ teams will have 26 games without cup games

acup similar to the northern rail would be good

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/11/2020 2:19 pm
Share: