Women’s football

Notifications
Clear all

Women’s football

(@a-cape)
Reputable Member

Has anyone watched the ‘highlights’ of the women’s champions league final. The standard was utterly appalling. The media has jumped all over the coverage for some strange reason too 😉

Topic starter Posted : 17/05/2021 3:42 pm
(@town-team)
Trusted Member

No Billy

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/05/2021 6:43 pm
PaulieWalnuts
(@pauliewalnuts)
Honorable Member

Correct, it's shat.

No problem with women playing the game, but it's standard does not warrant the 'Woke' coverage it gets.

Paulie xx

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/05/2021 9:20 pm
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

Correct, it’s shat. No problem with women playing the game, but it’s standard does not warrant the ‘Woke’ coverage it gets. Paulie xx

It gets a bit of coverage around the world although of course it’s nowhere near as big as the RFL Championship eh ? I suspect you and the good Mr Cape dismissing it out of hand will be a blow that it can survive.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/05/2021 2:19 am
(@gpo1971)
Honorable Member

It gets decent viewing figures though so why wouldn't you show it? England's World Cup semi in 2019 got 12M. The Challenge Cup Final last year got 1.3M. If I was the BBC, I'd be airing more women's footy.

I watched a fair bit of the WC, USA were a good side. The women dive less than the men which helps the game flow.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/05/2021 7:34 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Its alliance with the Premier soccer clubs makes it a real competitor with SL in the future, and potentially very soon!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/05/2021 8:53 am
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

Its alliance with the Premier soccer clubs makes it a real competitor with SL in the future, and potentially very soon!

I suspect it’s only a diehard league fan who would see it that way mate. I’d say it has a lot wider audience than SL already.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/06/2021 9:54 am
PaulieWalnuts
(@pauliewalnuts)
Honorable Member

Correct, it’s shat. No problem with women playing the game, but it’s standard does not warrant the ‘Woke’ coverage it gets. Paulie xx

It gets a bit of coverage around the world although of course it’s nowhere near as big as the RFL Championship eh ? I suspect you and the good Mr Cape dismissing it out of hand will be a blow that it can survive.

Read the opening post, Roy. It was about the piss-poor standard which doesn't warrant that level of air-time. The I-Zingari league in Liverpool is a better standard, but that gets it's results printed in the local press. And as for viewing figures, the Masked Dancer gets millions of viewers, so by your analogy, it's a great standard of TV.

There's nothing wrong with the ladies playing any sport, just because they play, doesn't mean it's any good.

Paulie xx

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/06/2021 10:10 pm
(@gpo1971)
Honorable Member

Standard is irrelevant though when it comes to what's popular.

Otherwise ITV on a Saturday night would be King Lear as read by Daniel Day-Lewis or Chess Masters live from Vladivostok instead of the Masked Singer.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/06/2021 7:31 am
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

Standard is irrelevant though when it comes to what’s popular. Otherwise ITV on a Saturday night would be King Lear as read by Daniel Day-Lewis or Chess Masters live from Vladivostok instead of the Masked Singer.

Beat me to it - spot on - there is a marked difference between what might be classed as a high standard against what might be considered highly marketable and popular. Women’s football is global and is eminently more marketable than Rugby League in it’s current guise.

To be fair though I don’t think the topic was started as a discussion on the advantages and disadvantages of a comparison of relative sporting standards and popularity / marketability.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/06/2021 9:54 am
(@gpo1971)
Honorable Member

You're right, that wasn't the original point. But a comment was made along the lines of it's only on the telly as it's 'woke', whatever that really means. It's not, it's on the telly because, when it is, people watch it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/06/2021 12:01 pm
Share: