Notifications
Clear all

Will we be a club next season?

Page 1 / 2
Gofyn
(@gofyn)
Estimable Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/58264373

The line about if clubs need to merge then so be it. Don't think Pearson even knows where Widnes is. A far more wise and ruthless business man than Uncle Mo. 😔

Topic starter Posted : 19/08/2021 6:32 am
(@gpo1971)
Honorable Member

It's only what's been getting said in the other thread 'most important season since....'.

I note he says a new format alongside the existing. How's that going to work? I think eventually the traditional format of the game will drop off in favour of a 9s comp or something like that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2021 7:27 am
Former Chemic
(@former-chemic)
Honorable Member

Yes, I think we will be playing next year.

As many on here have said, we need to increase the overall RL pool of players, so greater schools community engagement has to be the main solution. Don’t think yet another change in format to a 9’s is the answer.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2021 7:48 am
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

I bet he isn't thinking of Hull and HKR when he talks of mergers.The UK isn't America or Australia.You can't just glue two clubs together and expect double the attendance.Does'nt work like that here.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2021 7:53 am
(@spelly)
Noble Member

Of course there'll be a Chemics next season, and there'll be a Lions too, although, unless summat huge happens, we won't be meeting in league football.

We've both gone through the mill more than once, but we're still here large as life, and twice as ugly.

Whilst I'm sure the Hull supremo is a good, and hard-headed business man, I lost a lot of faith in Pearson, with the way he announced the sacking of Radford. Do you / we need someone like that in charge? I'm not sure we do.

The reduction of Sky money won't help, but the hardcore of fans will not allow the club(s) they love to die.

I know that more than most, as I've personally witnessed how close we came to going under, but where there's life, there's hope!

Spelly,

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2021 9:55 am
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

So I assume he is volunteering to merge with Hull KR?

Arrogance of these clowns is breathtaking.

If we merged or became a feeder club, I'm out of RL and I wouldn't be the only one I'm sure!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2021 12:33 pm
(@mick-george)
Prominent Member

So I assume he is volunteering to merge with Hull KR? Arrogance of these clowns is breathtaking. If we merged or became a feeder club, I’m out of RL and I wouldn’t be the only one I’m sure!

Just like what was suggested in 1996 if all else fails he can alway re brand and call themselves Hull Sharks. Just looking after no 1 as usual and fudge the sport of RL. All these owners now realise that they will actually have to put money into the clubs and they don't like it one bit. Come on Sky get on with it and bin your coverage so we can all get on watching the game live on equal footings.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2021 12:41 pm
(@spelly)
Noble Member

So I assume he is volunteering to merge with Hull KR? Arrogance of these clowns is breathtaking. If we merged or became a feeder club, I’m out of RL and I wouldn’t be the only one I’m sure!

If we merged with anyone, I'd walk away, but unlike you, I'd still follow the game, and cherry pick the matches that I'd attend.

It might even (when restrictions permit) allow me to visit my mate in Oz, and combine it with watching Origin live, which is one box I've yet to tick, and add that very special fixture to my CV.

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2021 1:39 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

All power to you Spelly but I don't think I'm alone in losing more and more interest in the wider game beyond Widnes over recent years; 10 years ago would barely miss a Sky SL game, now I barely watch one.

What possible mergers would he be envisaging anyway?

Us and Wire doesn't need to happen because of the strength of Wire anyway.

Both Hull clubs have strong followings.

Cas and Wakefield? But then again Cas have had the best 7 or 8 years in a long time.

Swinton/Oldham/Rochdale/Salford into Manchester? But why not just have allowed that Manchester team into the pyramid when they had the chance?

More grandstanding to get a nice piece on the BBC Website I guess....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2021 2:57 pm
(@spelly)
Noble Member

All power to you Spelly but I don’t think I’m alone in losing more and more interest in the wider game beyond Widnes over recent years; 10 years ago would barely miss a Sky SL game, now I barely watch one. What possible mergers would he be envisaging anyway? Us and Wire doesn’t need to happen because of the strength of Wire anyway. Both Hull clubs have strong followings. Cas and Wakefield? But then again Cas have had the best 7 or 8 years in a long time. Swinton/Oldham/Rochdale/Salford into Manchester? But why not just have allowed that Manchester team into the pyramid when they had the chance? More grandstanding to get a nice piece on the BBC Website I guess….

I can't envisage a single one mate!

A merger with the Pinks? It isn't even worth thinking about! I wouldn't even share my used toilet paper with 'em!

Worky and 'Haven? They hate each other! A marriage would be impossible!

Is Pearson living in cloud cuckoo land, or just trying to make a noise, and be heard? He's already been at Derby County, and Leeds United, so you hardly accuse him of being a one club man, Is his head ruling his heart?

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2021 4:37 pm
(@primrose-viking)
Estimable Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/58264373 The line about if clubs need to merge then so be it. Don’t think Pearson even knows where Widnes is. A far more wise and ruthless business man than Uncle Mo. 😔

Pearson is a bit of a jerk who most people won't listen to

He is after short term gain rather than long term security and development

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2021 10:12 pm
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

Without short term gain it’s unlikely that there will be a long term - for the professional game anyway.

Merging is just an acknowledgement that the player pool is dwindling. Merging will make no real difference as the player pool will just dwindle at an accelerated rate.

Would the plan be to keep merging until there are just two squads of 25 left ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2021 6:30 am
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

These mergers won’t happen. Zero desire amongst the fans for them and I would guess not much desire among the people who run the clubs.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2021 8:17 am
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

What possible mergers would he be envisaging anyway?  Both Hull clubs have strong followings.

He certainly isn't envisaging a Humberside merger.Mergers are for the ordinaries not him and his club.So no self interest there.

As MT says never gonna happen anyway, anywhere.Fans don't have the heart for it, they'd rather walk away than support a fake outfit joined together.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2021 9:59 am
widneslatic
(@widneslatic)
Reputable Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/58264373 The line about if clubs need to merge then so be it. Don’t think Pearson even knows where Widnes is. A far more wise and ruthless business man than Uncle Mo. 😔

Ironic how he mentions mergers when his own club is the result of a lob-sided merger.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2021 12:41 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: