Notifications
Clear all

The Reshaping of the Championship

(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

I am interested to know how the championship has become dominated by a few teams.

Many are certain Featherstone will be an SL team next season yet they are a part time outfit, similar to York who are been talked up relentlessly.

How did Featherstone and York become so competitive? They haven’t got a rich backer, yet they sign quality players so what changed?

Topic starter Posted : 27/03/2021 11:24 am
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

Well looking at us, we were running an academy and reserve teams - not many in the championship were doing that. We had a habit of signing crocked players on big money.But early days yet, let’s see whether all the talk amounts to good results

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/03/2021 11:53 am
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

Well looking at us, we were running an academy and reserve teams – not many in the championship were doing that. We had a habit of signing crocked players on big money.But early days yet, let’s see whether all the talk amounts to good results

Yeah it shall be interesting to see where we are in a few season if we remain in the championship. Based on history, I think we have had about 3 good seasons in the championship out of a possible 15? Completely deplorable.

I don’t see what Feth bring to SL if promoted, if they get promoted they deserve it but they are on a hiding to nothing really. However, I am interested to know how have they developed such a good part-time team with a substantial backer

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27/03/2021 12:26 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

We should be competitive this year and then pushing up the table looking to win the GF in following years, given the size of the fanbase, the VIQI and the sponsorship.

Featherstone benefitted from a good season in 2019 and so got a good share of money based on placings, York similarly. Bradford have had financial issues and Halifax have slid down the table, so they have been beneficiaries.

It would be better for us if Leigh stayed up, as the natural destination for good NW Championship players would be here.

As far as fanbase and prestige are concerned, Widnes and Bradford are still the biggest clubs outside SL no matter what anyone says.

Also, lets be honest, if Salford, Huddersfield and Wakefield were replaced tomorrow by Widnes, Featherstone and Bradford, would there really be any difference to SL?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/03/2021 3:57 pm
(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

Featherstone only just managed to beat Batley at home last night, coming from behind , and scoring 2 late tries. I would  have thought with the players they’ve got, they would have won easier.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/03/2021 6:24 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Fev were in bed with Leeds in 2019 borrowing players, used as Leeds development team. Webster posing ss Leeds Assistant Coach. I am not convinced that his contract with Leeds wasn't his Fev money too. Imagine the difference if Wire paid Simon's contract, or a good chunk of it. It would be at least one good player, possibly more.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/03/2021 9:55 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

We're also hindered by the fact we finished 10th in 2019, due to the points deduction; and there's a significant jump in central funding from top five to the rest.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/04/2021 10:32 am
(@sinbad)
Noble Member
 I don’t see what Featherstone bring to SL if promoted.

Featherstone would bring a Rugby League team to SL if promoted. What else would a Rugby League club 'bring' to a Rugby League comp ? This kind of snobbery  p!sses me off and it has no place in our game.We've had it ourselves in the past, other fans sneering about us being in SL.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/04/2021 10:08 am
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

I too don't get all this bring value stuff. It is a sport.

If you win the Championship GF, doesn't matter to me if you are Widnes, Featherstone, Swinton or Batley, you deserve to go up. If a Batley refused promotion for instance that is a different matter.

Equally if you finish bottom of SL, doesn't matter if you are Leigh or Leeds: you go down.

Said it before, Huddersfield, Salford and Wakefield could be dropped from SL tomorrow and replaced by us, Bradford and Fev and there would be little difference!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/04/2021 2:16 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

I too don’t get all this bring value stuff. It is a sport. If you win the Championship GF, doesn’t matter to me if you are Widnes, Featherstone, Swinton or Batley, you deserve to go up. If a Batley refused promotion for instance that is a different matter. Equally if you finish bottom of SL, doesn’t matter if you are Leigh or Leeds: you go down. Said it before, Huddersfield, Salford and Wakefield could be dropped from SL tomorrow and replaced by us, Bradford and Fev and there would be little difference!

I don’t have issues with Fev been promoted nor do I subscribe to the snobbishness. I take issue with neutrals suggesting that Fev would be great for SL and I am just asking based on what? Their crowds, stadium, academy?

If they win promotion on the field fair enough.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 06/04/2021 8:02 pm
Share: