Quadruple signings ...

Notifications
Clear all

Quadruple signings from Oldham

Page 1 / 9
(@widnes_78)
Eminent Member

Widnes Vikings are delighted to announce the signing of quartet Tyler Dupree, Dec Gregory, Ryan Ince and Liam Bent on the expiry of their contracts at Oldham.

Tyler Dupree

Tyler scored 10 tries in 18 appearances for Oldham in the 2021 season, after signing from Leeds Rhinos as a product of their academy where he gained representative honours against the Australian Schoolboys.

The 21-year-old has been one of the Championship’s brightest and most sought-after young talents this season and will add to the Vikings’ new-look pack for next year bringing a dynamism and explosiveness to the squad.

On signing his new contract, Tyler said: “I’m buzzing to get started and looking forward to a full pre-season with the facilities at the stadium. I’m ready to compete and aim for the play-offs with the fans behind us and I can’t wait to meet the lads.”

Dec Gregory

Wigan-born Gregory is a dangerous live-wire hooker with plenty of energy, having gained experience playing for Salford Red Devils’ academy before moving onto Rochdale Hornets and North Wales Crusaders, prior to joining Oldham last year for 2021.

Dec will bring energy, enthusiasm and much-needed competition for the hooking role within the squad for 2021.

Dec says he is “absolutely over the moon” to be joining the Vikings next season. “It feels like there is something special coming together within the club and I’m delighted to be part of that. It’s a club enriched with history within Rugby League and I can’t wait to get started.

“The status of the club demands success and I’m hoping I can help the team experience as much as possible this coming season.”

Ryan Ince

Ryan Ince is no stranger to the town after coming through the Widnes academy system, playing his junior rugby for Moorfield before going on to turn out for the Vikings in the Super League and representing England youth and academy during his first spell here.

Ryan is a natural try scorer most recently crossing for 19 tries in 22 games for Widnes in 2019 before joining Leigh Centurions and then moving on to Oldham for 2021.

Ryan will add to and complement the very exciting back line that is being constructed for the season ahead.

‘Incey’ is delighted to be coming home next season: “After leaving Widnes I never ruled out coming back. I enjoyed my time there and with it being my home town club as well as coming through the system, it makes it feel a lot more like home for me.

“The players that have already been announced at the club have some real skill and I’m sure there will be more to add to that. Also, the way the club is going about their business is promising and I’m sure there will be a good culture inside it.

“A lot of people at the club know what I offer as a player but since my first spell I feel I get through a lot more work in matches now and my understanding of the game has improved.”

Liam Bent

Liam Bent is another young very experienced forward to add to the pack for next year, with the hard working 23-year-old regularly topping the tackle counts recording over 50 tackles per game.

The Wigan-born loose forward previously played for Salford Red Devils, and leaves the Roughyeds having played almost 100 games for the club and twice having won their Supporters’ Player of the Year award.

‘Benty’ is relishing the challenge of joining Widnes ahead of next year: “I’m really looking forward to the challenge ahead, I can’t wait to get started and hopefully have a big year with the lads.

“I’m hoping we can make it into the play-offs and contend for the top spots in the league.”

All four players join the Vikings on one-year deals ahead of the 2022 season

Topic starter Posted : 27/09/2021 10:13 am
(@viking25)
Prominent Member

Willing to give them all a chance, but surely there’s a reason they played in an Oldham team that got relegated?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/09/2021 10:20 am
(@aceaceace)

Willing to give them all a chance, but surely there’s a reason they played in an Oldham team that got relegated?

I'm pretty sure that's the comment when ever any sports team sign a player from a relegated side.

Dupree has got a bit of hype this year. Ince we know about. Bent is a workhorse but only small in size I think.

Don't know much about Dec Gregory.

When you look at them though they've played first team games in men's leagues rather than some of our kids who haven't had that shot yet. Bent over a hundred first team games at a year older than Roby for instance.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/09/2021 10:31 am
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

Oldham were collectively a poor side last year. But Dupree must be a good player to get a championship young player of the year nomination whilst playing in a struggling side. I suspect he will be a cracking signing. We know Ince has a good try scoring record at this level. Is he better than the wingers we have already? Some of them, imo. I’d be disappointed if we let Hatton go to accommodate him though. Haven’t really seen too much of Gregory and Bent. Latter is described as a tackling machine. Both youngish players hopefully with something to prove. Open mind until I’ve seen them all play a few times.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/09/2021 10:37 am
(@viking-man)
Reputable Member

Relegated players will always get labelled if signed elsewhere soon after, need to break it down a little bit more.  Happy with Dupree, Bent and Gregory - Ince I'm yet to be convinced but we need a bigger squad next year so competition for places and all that.

Dupree will be a good signing for us as well Gregory, which pretty much must mean that Tomkins is done and questions whether we will sign Hulme for next year, who I think has done a good job for us.

The squad is shaping up, only other one we know about not announced yet is Brad Holroyd at Workington isn't it?  Brad started at Warrington as a kid and moved to Leigh/Saints reserves/Workington.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/09/2021 10:42 am
(@viking25)
Prominent Member

Relegated players will always get labelled if signed elsewhere soon after, need to break it down a little bit more. Happy with Dupree, Bent and Gregory – Ince I’m yet to be convinced but we need a bigger squad next year so competition for places and all that. Dupree will be a good signing for us as well Gregory, which pretty much must mean that Tomkins is done and questions whether we will sign Hulme for next year, who I think has done a good job for us. The squad is shaping up, only other one we know about not announced yet is Brad Holroyd at Workington isn’t it? Brad started at Warrington as a kid and moved to Leigh/Saints reserves/Workington.

Aaron Brown from Sheffield, but seems a strange signing considering we’ve already got Baker and Bent to play 13

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/09/2021 10:48 am
(@aceaceace)

Dupree will be a good signing for us as well Gregory, which pretty much must mean that Tomkins is done and questions whether we will sign Hulme for next year, who I think has done a good job for us.

I'm more inclined to say it may see Lewis Else leave rather than Hulme who has took his chance. Bent possibly forces Josh Wilde out (??)

I've been following the Oldham total rl forum since we where linked with Dupree. They tend to post the player stats after each game in their threads. I will copy some over but the general theme has been:

Dupree - top metre maker

Ince - at centre. Over a hundred metres a game and always a tackle bust but missed tackles.

Bent - over 40 tackles a game. Some are over fifty but limited yardage gained.

Gregory - interchange hooker.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/09/2021 10:50 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Relegated players will always get labelled if signed elsewhere soon after, need to break it down a little bit more. Happy with Dupree, Bent and Gregory – Ince I’m yet to be convinced but we need a bigger squad next year so competition for places and all that. Dupree will be a good signing for us as well Gregory, which pretty much must mean that Tomkins is done and questions whether we will sign Hulme for next year, who I think has done a good job for us. The squad is shaping up, only other one we know about not announced yet is Brad Holroyd at Workington isn’t it? Brad started at Warrington as a kid and moved to Leigh/Saints reserves/Workington.

Aaron Brown from Sheffield, but seems a strange signing considering we’ve already got Baker and Bent to play 13

And Matty Smith. or is he reverting to scrum half?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/09/2021 10:53 am
(@d-day)
Estimable Member

Not heard of Dec Gregory or Bent but had  a look at the highlights reel from Dec Gregory and he reminds me a bit of Rob Burrow, similar in stature and    Looks really quick from acting half.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/09/2021 11:04 am
(@aceaceace)

<p style="text-align: left;">Right I've been back through some of Oldham last game threads on their forum and stats are copied below for an idea. Great info to get posted on a forum.  They lost all the games too. Not sure why Ince at centre as he has never struck me as the most adaptable in that sense.</p>

Dewsbury

Ince (Centre) -10 tackles. one miss. 4 offloads. 6 tackle busts. 2 clean breaks. 21 carries=207m

Dupree-36 tackles. 4 misses. one offload. one tackle bust. 15 carries=98m

Bent ( starting second row) -50 tackles. one miss. one offload. 6 carries=33m

No Gregory

Newcastle

Ince (Centre) -4 tackles. 2 misses. one offload. 7 tackle busts. one clean break. one try assist. 15 carries=123m

Dupree-27 tackles. one miss. 2 offloads. 8 tackle busts. one clean break. 19 carries=203m

Bent (second row) -40 tackles. one tackle bust. 7 carries=64m

Gregory (interchange) -26 tackles. 2 misses. 1 carry=8m

Widnes

Ince (Centre) -13 tackles. one try assist. 16 carries=114m

Bent (interchange) -16 tackles. 8 carries=55m

Gregory ( interchange =-21 tackles. one miss.2 carries=16m

Featherstone

Ince (wing) -8 tackles. one miss. 2 tackle busts. 14 carries=116m

Dupree-36 tackles. 5 misses. 3 offloads. 5 tackle busts. 20 carries=118m

Bent (lf) -61 tackles. 7 misses. 10 carries=47m

Gregory (interchange) -41 tackles. 6 misses. 8 carries=47m

Toulouse

Ince (Centre) -16 tackles. 3 misses. 5 carries=32m

Dupree-29 tackles. 2 misses. one offload. one tackle bust. 11 carries=64m

Bent (interchange) -33 tackles. one miss. 9 carries=44m

No Gregory.

Swinton

Ince (wing) -3 tackles. 2 tackle busts. 15 carries=135m

Dupree-27 tackles. 7 tackle busts. 2 clean breaks. 13 carries=130m

Bent (interchange) -28 tackles. 2 misses. one tackle bust. 6 carries=28m

No Gregory

London

Ince (Centre) -18 tackles. one miss. 7 carries=38m

Bent (lf) -33 tackles. one miss. 2 tackle busts. 11 carries=48m

Dupree (interchange) -21 tackles. 4 misses. 2 offloads. 3 tackle busts. one clean break. 13 carries=72m

Whitehaven

Ince (Centre) -12 tackles. one miss. one tackle bust. 7 carries=66m

Bent (lf) -60 tackles. 3 misses. 8 carries=41m

Dupree (interchange) -30 tackles. one miss. 2 offloads. 5 tackle busts. one clean break. 10 carries=69m

Bradford

Ince (Centre) -9 tackles. 2 misses. 8 carries=46m

Bent (lf) -72 tackles. 5 misses. 4 carries=26m

**Noted that's a club record for tackles. 50 by half time and didn't play the full second half **

Dupree-32 tackles. 4 misses. one offload. 8 tackle busts. 2 clean breaks. 13 carries=102m

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/09/2021 11:19 am
(@viking25)
Prominent Member

Oldham were collectively a poor side last year. But Dupree must be a good player to get a championship young player of the year nomination whilst playing in a struggling side. I suspect he will be a cracking signing. We know Ince has a good try scoring record at this level. Is he better than the wingers we have already? Some of them, imo. I’d be disappointed if we let Hatton go to accommodate him though. Haven’t really seen too much of Gregory and Bent. Latter is described as a tackling machine. Both youngish players hopefully with something to prove. Open mind until I’ve seen them all play a few times.

Thats the talk, and if true, I find it staggering.

Don’t understand it at all.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/09/2021 12:07 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Thats the talk, and if true, I find it staggering. Don’t understand it at all.

Me too, if true. Or has he signed elsewhere?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/09/2021 12:21 pm
(@ceejay1)
Reputable Member

Still no Big Props though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/09/2021 12:43 pm
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

I'd say Dupree qualifies, Ceejay. Still ideally need another three props to add to him, Nzoungou and Farnworth though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/09/2021 12:59 pm
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

Baker was signed with very little fan fare coming from league 1, no one really knew who Deon Cross was until signed etc it’s about the individual player not the team they had played for.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/09/2021 2:10 pm
Page 1 / 9
Share: