Notifications
Clear all

NRL Play Offs

CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Not really watched much NRL in the last 10 years or so, but really got back into over the (first?) lockdown period and carried on since.

Really enjoyable, high quality rugby and coverage.

Who do we want/think will win?

I would quite like Penrith or Canberra to win it, but feel when push comes to shove the Roosters may win it in the end.

Topic starter Posted : 26/09/2020 6:46 pm
(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

I’ve been watching it, pity sky are only showing 2-3 matches a week now, instead of all 8 matches like they did during lockdown. Even though it’s early morning, they manage to find other sports to put on instead.
Penrith are playing really well this season, and are deservedly top. I think it should be them and Melbourne in the final. Roosters haven’t played as well this season, losing 6 games and getting battered by the Rabbitohs 60-8 on Friday, they only made the playoffs on points difference from Canberra, who looked as though they would be in the top 4 , but for a last minute try for Paramatta , to get themselves in it instead.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/09/2020 10:36 am
(@di-keith-fowler)
Trusted Member

You'd hope Penrith will go on and win it. They'd deserve it.

The quality of play is so high, it always has been but the last few years the NRL became a bit too attritional. Six again has freshened it up, like it has in Super League to some degree.

Like Canberra because of the English contingent, think Williams is going to become a genuine star.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/09/2020 12:21 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Certainly tests the fitness! But what a lot of injuries, both here and in Oz.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/09/2020 1:43 pm
(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

At least in Australia they’re still having scrums, so it’s giving the players a bit of a rest, unlike over here. I can’t see why SL think there’s more chance of catching Covid in a scrum, than there is in a 3- 4 man tackle.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/09/2020 7:52 pm
(@di-keith-fowler)
Trusted Member

At least in Australia they’re still having scrums, so it’s giving the players a bit of a rest, unlike over here. I can’t see why SL think there’s more chance of catching Covid in a scrum, than there is in a 3- 4 man tackle.

It's an excuse to see what the game looks like without scrums.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/09/2020 10:43 am
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

To be fair though, there haven’t really been scrums - ball down the middle, hookers striking for the ball, two packs contesting the scrum - for 30 odd years.

Given the emphasis on speed these days, I’m surprised scrums have lasted as long as they have.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/09/2020 11:57 am
(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

I see Sky are showing all 4 NRL playoff matches this weekend along with 2 Aussie women’s matches in the early hours of the morning.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/09/2020 8:32 pm
Share: