Notifications
Clear all

New competition in Canada

(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

They’re going to start a 6 team competition in Canada next season, for men and women. Playing the games in Toronto. They’re planning to increase it to both coasts in 2023z

Topic starter Posted : 01/03/2021 5:13 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Great! That is what they should be doing. Maybe a few 'invitation ' games against SL competition?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/03/2021 9:49 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Makes sense to do it this way rather than Transatlantic leagues.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/03/2021 6:46 pm
(@griffin1)
Estimable Member

The Wolfpack are set to return in a 14 team North American league starting in July which will include teams from New York and playing all over North America.

Now, who would ever have thought of trying to establish a competition in North America to promote and spread the game.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2021 10:33 am
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

Is this part of the new North American League - 3 conferences of 6 teams. Wonder are they all professional and if so where are the players coming from

and do Ottawa take all those players on they had for this year

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2021 11:29 am
(@viking-man)
Reputable Member

I very much doubt the Ottawa players go, the draw was being over here for the majority of the year but still having extended periods in Canada.

I would expect Toronto Wolfpack get an overhaul as I would be amazed if Brian McDermott is even the slightest bit interested in this league, and I would fully expect him to be Castleford coach next season.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2021 12:02 pm
Former Chemic
(@former-chemic)
Honorable Member

Is this another April fool joke?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2021 12:31 pm
(@frankg)
Noble Member

I very much doubt the Ottawa players go, the draw was being over here for the majority of the year but still having extended periods in Canada. I would expect Toronto Wolfpack get an overhaul as I would be amazed if Brian McDermott is even the slightest bit interested in this league, and I would fully expect him to be Castleford coach next season.

Surely, McDermott will not be interested in a small town rugby club!!!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2021 8:37 pm
(@carpet-crawler)
Trusted Member

Assuming it's true and as said, not just another April fools prank, it could be the best thing to happen to world RL in decades. The north Americans should have done this from the very start. Build their own infrastructure and then grow the game from the ground up. I hope it's a massive success over there, because it will give a huge profile boost to RL. I still fear for the future of our domestic game below SL level, but it's sweet to get some good news about the sport for once.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/04/2021 2:58 am
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

Agree with that, but where are they getting their professional players from - is it just amateur players being paid a few quid or are they going for established players ?
if it takes off that would be great for the game. With regard to the current lower levels, I feel that this season will see a boost in attendances and interest - what is missing is a tv deal to increase exposure

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/04/2021 4:03 pm
Share: