Locals And The Town...

Notifications
Clear all

Locals And The Town Team

Gofyn
(@gofyn)
Estimable Member

I see Workington signed 6 amatur players from all parts of cumbria. That had impressed in a trials. I am sure if we put a sign on Billinge Lump we could attract from that area hey, may even be some players in widnes interested. Can it be worse than dropping kids in a shark infested deep end.

My second question. Does the town team still exist (Not in the area anymore)? Simple things that worked in the past to keep tabs for the future. I take it as a now because they don't play before Wembley

Topic starter Posted : 10/05/2021 11:00 am
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

You say kids - but what kids have we got (other than O’Neill on loan)?

Tilleke and Else, both 21, have been two of the better players. Lyons is 23. Buckley’s 22. Lawton and Dwyer are 27. I don’t think age is the issue.

Clearly the amateur game in the town isn’t as strong as it once was - and I daresay any decent player around these parts will have already been snapped up by Saints/Wigan/Warrington.

A large part of the squad we've got is basically the best players we could find from the region. We probably need to cast the net further afield - maybe look at how we can get 1/2 overseas players who can combine playing with work in the community.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2021 11:09 am
Gofyn
(@gofyn)
Estimable Member

Point taken on the age, James.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10/05/2021 11:50 am
(@torn-sock-1)
Estimable Member

You say kids – but what kids have we got (other than O’Neill on loan)? Tilleke and Else, both 21, have been two of the better players. Lyons is 23. Buckley’s 22. Lawton and Dwyer are 27. I don’t think age is the issue. Clearly the amateur game in the town isn’t as strong as it once was – and I daresay any decent player around these parts will have already been snapped up by Saints/Wigan/Warrington. A large part of the squad we’ve got is basically the best players we could find from the region. We probably need to cast the net further afield – maybe look at how we can get 1/2 overseas players who can combine playing with work in the community.

This. There are currently a few players from Widnes starting games/getting game time under their belt in Super League who were all based in Widnes for their youth. Could be more but Harry Smith, Danny Richardson & Lewis Dodd are 3. If you were their parents at any age when clubs starting looking would any of you advise them to go to or even consider Widnes in the last 10 years? Of course you wouldn't, for multiple very good reasons.

Whilst you all love the club Widnes isn't an attractive proposition to players, coaches or owners in almost every situation.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2021 12:07 pm
Share: