Increasing support

Notifications
Clear all

Increasing support

(@tonyvikinggee)
Estimable Member

I have been thinking recently of ways we can increase the clubs support once we are allowed back at the stadium. But its a tough question to answer once you eliminate the obvious, success on the pitch.

So a good starting point may be to ask, how/Why did you start following Widnes, What got you hooked?

For me my dad would take me when i was very small, and I would go with him because he would buy me a mars Bar and I like chocolate. But I truly started following when Widnes did a rugby camp at the Tigers and after 3 days of training you were given a card for the season which gave you free entry ( pretty much a season ticket ). From that day on I didn't go to watch Widnes for the mars Bars, i started to watch the Vikings in earnest. That would have been around 1990ish and I have been hooked since.

Topic starter Posted : 08/04/2021 7:02 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

I guess most of us have been led by dad!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/04/2021 7:23 am
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

I became passionate through my grandad, his passion and pride at been a widnesian resonated with me and the rugby club became away of projecting our pride of been widnesians.

Funny enough, I was speaking to a fella a few years ago, he quit his job so he could follow Widnes home and away, he so immersed in watching Widnes away he wanted to make it a way of life to him. However, after 6 months, he gave up, he realised a supporting a rugby team is just a part-time, low-key hobby, and certainly wasn’t part of a towns culture.

Overall, I think the problem with Widnes, is that there is no culture to supporting the club, if I ask why supporting Widnes is special or what separates Widnes from other clubs, no one can give me an answer. Going to Widnes games isn’t a way of life, it doesn’t help when the club has lacked identity for years, swapping short colours and designs and failing to really make supporting the club feel “special”.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/04/2021 9:25 am
(@spideylizard)
Estimable Member

Really?. Quitting his job then only lasting 6 months. Very odd

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/04/2021 6:42 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

I became passionate through my grandad, his passion and pride at been a widnesian resonated with me and the rugby club became away of projecting our pride of been widnesians. Funny enough, I was speaking to a fella a few years ago, he quit his job so he could follow Widnes home and away, he so immersed in watching Widnes away he wanted to make it a way of life to him. However, after 6 months, he gave up, he realised a supporting a rugby team is just a part-time, low-key hobby, and certainly wasn’t part of a towns culture. Overall, I think the problem with Widnes, is that there is no culture to supporting the club, if I ask why supporting Widnes is special or what separates Widnes from other clubs, no one can give me an answer. Going to Widnes games isn’t a way of life, it doesn’t help when the club has lacked identity for years, swapping short colours and designs and failing to really make supporting the club feel “special”.

You could say that about any club though?

People don't support Widnes over Warrington because Widnes have something that separates them from Warrington.

All clubs swap shirt colours and designs these days.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/04/2021 7:48 pm
Share: