Notifications
Clear all

Friendlies?

Page 1 / 2
 ma
(@ma)
Trusted Member

I might have missed it, but has it been said why no friendlies have been organised?

No game should really be taken for granted but I’d be disappointed if we didn’t beat West Wales at a canter in the Challenge Cup, but with no run out beforehand it could be trickier than we think. Maybe we are using this game as prep for the Championship but not sure how big the bench can be in this game.

Then it’s a trip to Newcastle which could be tricky (I don’t know much about their squad but there is some experience in there).

Something to be concerned about or are the lads getting match fitness other ways I.e. training games against other clubs or against ourselves?

Topic starter Posted : 07/03/2021 7:39 pm
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

I’d imagine the reasons are twofold

We have a small squad numerically and don’t want to risk injuries by playing pre season games

There would be no financial benefit to playing friendlies without crowds.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/03/2021 8:07 pm
(@viking25)
Prominent Member

Think we have an opposed training session with a SL club this week.

Not playing a proper friendly is a massive risk given the 12 month lay off. Any other club not having one?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/03/2021 9:31 pm
(@widiot)
Reputable Member

West Wales is practically a friendly.

we’ll put 80 on them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/03/2021 10:10 pm
 ma
(@ma)
Trusted Member

I’d imagine the reasons are twofold We have a small squad numerically and don’t want to risk injuries by playing pre season games There would be no financial benefit to playing friendlies without crowds.

Suppose it makes sense to not risk injuries but im thinking you need to get your body match fit by playing in match conditions. Not sure we really benefit financially anyway pre-covid from friendlies due to the cost of opening the stadium for so few fans.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/03/2021 11:15 pm
 ma
(@ma)
Trusted Member

Think we have an opposed training session with a SL club this week. Not playing a proper friendly is a massive risk given the 12 month lay off. Any other club not having one?

I was thinking we needed a runout of some sorts. Some clubs are having training matches against other clubs too. Just hope if we have one that there is some intensity.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/03/2021 11:17 pm
 ma
(@ma)
Trusted Member

Just thinking again that maybe we are predicting at least a good win at West Wales, then we'll play either Haven or Rams the following week before Newcastle in the Championship. Fingers crossed it goes to plan.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/03/2021 11:18 pm
 ma
(@ma)
Trusted Member

My query is answered.

https://widnesrugby.com/blogs/no-pre-season-friendlies-for-widnes/

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/03/2021 12:29 am
Former Chemic
(@former-chemic)
Honorable Member

Really informative blog. We’re in for a great season if Simon is as good at coaching as he is at communicating with the fans.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/03/2021 9:10 am
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

I think the Challenge Cup matches are doubling up as the pre-season run outs.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/03/2021 7:20 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Iirc Vinty's view was that ' all you get from friendlies are injuries' .

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/03/2021 5:16 pm
Former Chemic
(@former-chemic)
Honorable Member

Being reported that we are playing Wire tonight in a warm up game.

We will have to rely on an “informed insider” for any reports of how our team performs.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/03/2021 10:20 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

In the good old days we used to play Possibles v Probables! Brothers were opposing brothers and it got quite tasty sometimes.

Basically you need some physical challenge but not bone breaking contact. I though that perhaps local amateurs could have joined us for opposed training in view of our lack of an Academy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/03/2021 10:53 am
(@viking-man)
Reputable Member

In the good old days we used to play Possibles v Probables! Brothers were opposing brothers and it got quite tasty sometimes. Basically you need some physical challenge but not bone breaking contact. I though that perhaps local amateurs could have joined us for opposed training in view of our lack of an Academy.

No chance of that, massively increases the risk of spreading the virus in camp as amateur players won't be tested.  The squad is big enough to create scenarios to run shape.  Plenty of left v right going on.  The West Wales game is a good start, no real value of adding games in at this stage.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/03/2021 11:23 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Good point ! I forgot the virus!!!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/03/2021 11:43 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: