Eric Hughes

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Frankg
    • Captain
    • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Sad to read that former Chemic, Eric Hughes, has passed away. Rather a short tribute on the Widnes site that does not reflect his time at the club and what a class player he was.

He played 499 games for Widnes during the period 1969-1984, scoring 199 tries, with a season in Australia in 1976. During this period, Eric gained international representative honours with England and Great Britain. He was very much a key part of that great Widnes team of that era. A classy player with speed and aggression.

I think he fell out with the club after a brief spell when he coached the in 1984/85. He disagreed with the sale of Joe Lydon when Widnes faced financial difficulties (nothing changes!)

A great player.  Condolences to his family.

Hope
    • New signing

I think it’s a different Eric Hughes Frank, and perhaps a gentleman whose career wasn’t as illustrious as his namesake. However, regardless of that I hope he rests in peace and condolences to the family of another of our former Chemics. H

Bomb Jack
    • Kemik’s Assistant
    • ☆☆

Yep, a different Player.

Blurred
    • New signing
    Frankg
    • Captain
    • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Apologies to all concerned – I have asked Flash to delete my message. Condolences to the family and friends of this Eric Hughes.

geoffw
    • First Teamer
    • ☆☆☆☆☆☆

Yes this Eric Hughes was an aggrssive hooker but he gave his all in his performances nonetheless. RIP Eric & condolences to friends & family.

Glynn
    • First Teamer
    • ☆☆☆☆☆☆

must admit i was puzzled by his record, i didnt know there was 2 eric hughes. when i read about it on the widnes site i thought this cant be right.

r.i.p to this eric hughes

geoffw
    • First Teamer
    • ☆☆☆☆☆☆

Yes

must admit i was puzzled by his record, i didnt know there was 2 eric hughes. when i read about it on the widnes site i thought this cant be right.

Yes they both played at the same time but this one the hooker played for a much shorter period, Ray French was our captain at the time. He was often in trouble with referees. His main season was 1969- 70.

Glynn
    • First Teamer
    • ☆☆☆☆☆☆

before my time i only started going in 76

Sinbad
    • First Teamer
    • ☆☆☆☆☆☆

It does state clearly in the tribute on the official website that this Eric Hughes played 41 games for the club between 1967-70. Quite obviously not the same Eric Hughes who played near 500 games in 15 years.

Back to Forum Home | Mark Topic Read  | 
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.