Cook and Clough to ...

Notifications
Clear all

Cook and Clough to retire

Page 1 / 2
 Dan1
(@dan1)
Honorable Member

I would of given Clough another 12 months if he wanted to play on but both have had long careers. No mention of Jewitt.

So that's Farnworth signed for 2 years and you would assume Tilleke will get a 12 month deal, with no Clough next year we need to add 4 props now.

Topic starter Posted : 07/09/2021 4:19 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Cloughy has been a great leader for our young props and no doubt spread his experience during his stay.

Chips are down now!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2021 4:43 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

Shame, as both really good, solid, honest pros.

Thought Clough had maybe shown enough that he could do another year, but alas.

As Dan says, four props needed - seems like Dupree will be a start.

Not sure who else would be realistic - Tom Spencer from Leigh? Lewis Hatton from Swinton? Samy Kibula from Warrington? Gavin Bennion from Rochdale?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2021 4:45 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Maybe Fozzy has a mate in London?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2021 5:09 pm
(@scouseviking55)
Reputable Member

Shame losing clough thought he looked like he could do one more season.

Cook unfortunately not had the impact hoped for with injuries and I’m not surprised

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2021 5:14 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

It should give us heart that most clubs seem to be able to find a couple of tough nuts who are prepared  to keep taking the ball up - even that would be better than we have had available for much of this year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2021 5:36 pm
(@d-day)
Estimable Member

Maybe Fozzy has a mate in London?

Greg Richards??

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2021 7:45 pm
(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

Maybe Fozzy has a mate in London?[/

With London going part time next season, there must be a chance we could get one of their props for next season, I would have thought we could offer as good or better contract than London, it would depend if the player wanted to move up here.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2021 8:14 pm
 MT
(@mt)
Noble Member

Good luck to them both. Committed players who have had good careers in the game. I think we will stand or fall by our recruitment in the prop department for 2022.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2021 8:16 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Good luck to them both. Committed players who have had good careers in the game. I think we will stand or fall by our recruitment in the prop department for 2022.

No question!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2021 8:26 pm
(@tonyvikinggee)
Estimable Member

They have had good careers but its time we looked to younger and hungrier props now. No hard feelings but i wouldnt say this news upsets me and their wage money could probably be better invested elsewhere.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2021 8:31 pm
(@wirralviking)
Estimable Member

Presumably the Club have been aware of their decisions to retire for a while now and should have built that into their recruitment targets. Clough I thought might have gone around again, but fair enough he has played well for us this season! Sadly didn't see enough of Cook. Taking their statement at face value about mistakes being made, the Club should be under no illusions as to what sort of recruitment is needed, for us to be competitive in 2022, (Play offs at least).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2021 9:16 pm
(@widiot)
Reputable Member

Wouldn’t be surprised if the Chapelhow’s were the replacements for these 2. Putting the band back together of 2019, when we also got pasted every week.

clough will be missed, cook not so much but fair play to both, a lot of SL appearances that. Two good careers.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2021 9:37 pm
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

I think, assuming Farnworth, Tilleke and Dupree, that there will be another two being lined up. I think we will go with 5 and press one of the back rows into service should the need arise. I can’t see us using a quarter of our squad up on one position.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/09/2021 7:33 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

That would be a risk tbh. Three more solid props shouldn't be impossible.

We have backs that have proved to be pretty reliable even though they haven't been experienced. Other clubs seem happy to sign them!

Forwards are the basis of the team!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/09/2021 7:47 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: