Bentham quitting Ru...

Notifications
Clear all

Bentham quitting Rugby League

(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

Phil Bentham, who hasn’t reffed since February 2018 when he collided with Chris Houston , at our stadium, when we were playing Warrington. He’s now leaving his job of overseeing referees and leaving the sport altogether to pursue other interests.

I still don’t think Houston collided with him on purpose in that match . It had also happened to Bentham twice before that match.

Topic starter Posted : 02/03/2021 9:34 am
(@frankg)
Noble Member

Phil Bentham, who hasn’t reffed since February 2018 when he collided with Chris Houston , at our stadium, when we were playing Warrington. He’s now leaving his job of overseeing referees and leaving the sport altogether to pursue other interests. I still don’t think Houston collided with him on purpose in that match . It had also happened to Bentham twice before that match.

I think Chris Houston should appeal against the suspension!!!!

Are there any other refs we should arrange to be taken out in future games?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/03/2021 12:34 pm
(@farnworth-viking)
Noble Member

There’s not many left😁. They’re mostly young kids these days.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/03/2021 1:18 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

Phil Bentham, who hasn’t reffed since February 2018 when he collided with Chris Houston , at our stadium, when we were playing Warrington. He’s now leaving his job of overseeing referees and leaving the sport altogether to pursue other interests. I still don’t think Houston collided with him on purpose in that match . It had also happened to Bentham twice before that match.

The previous time was also Houston; the time before that was an unfortunate one where Bentham broke his leg at a Wigan v Hull KR game.

Houston got a two match ban for the second incident. For it to happen twice, I can't see him being blameless. Shame for Bentham.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/03/2021 5:29 pm
Steve
(@steve)
Honorable Member

Never believed Houston was at all malicious and never will.

I liked Bentham as a ref, and he was a good sport too when he found himself on the coach transfer with us lot after he made the error of staying in Lloret with the fans! 😂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/03/2021 9:14 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Funnily enough I seem to remember that of the two Houston incidents he was banned for the one that looked more accidental than the other.They couldn't let him off twice.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/03/2021 10:33 am
(@pastplayer)

In one of the incidents with Chris Houston, not sure about the other, he stepped sideways into the path of Houston and did exactly the same when he broke his leg colliding with a Hull KR player.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/03/2021 12:58 pm
Share: