Notifications
Clear all

BBC

(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

I see we are now relegated to other sport on the bbc sport page - they have not helped the sport in years -

Topic starter Posted : 03/09/2021 3:16 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

It's nothing personal,RL is a minority sport whether we like it or not.The tech people who run their website will have noticed far fewer clicks for RL than football, cricket, RU etc. so it makes sense to bundle all the minor sports together.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2021 3:34 pm
(@gpo1971)
Honorable Member

Not on mine. Are you in the UK?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2021 3:40 pm
(@jdgsport)
Prominent Member Admin

Why's it their duty to help the sport?

They prioritise sports that have greater interest. There are plenty of sports which would love the amount of coverage RL gets.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2021 4:13 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

To be fair to the BBC, they do live scores and a lot of radio coverage, online or otherwise.

But if it is clicks you are after then I guess it is a relatively small pool for RL.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2021 4:41 pm
PaulieWalnuts
(@pauliewalnuts)
Honorable Member

It's not been relegated on my BBC Sport home page. Who's arsed anyway.

Paulie xx

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2021 6:31 pm
(@viking01)

Now, now Paulie. Calm down. Lots of people rely on the BBC to access their fix of rugby league. The way things are going this season the BBC will be getting higher listening figures as going to the game is becoming  more stressful by the week.

I for one will be glad when this season is over. We can have a break and hopefully come back fully refreshed and ready to go again.

surely things can only get better.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2021 7:25 pm
PaulieWalnuts
(@pauliewalnuts)
Honorable Member

Now, now Paulie. Calm down. Lots of people rely on the BBC to access their fix of rugby league. The way things are going this season the BBC will be getting higher listening figures as going to the game is becoming more stressful by the week. I for one will be glad when this season is over. We can have a break and hopefully come back fully refreshed and ready to go again. surely things can only get better.

People losing their sh!t because they have to click on the 'all sport' icon ( which as I said, I don't have to, because the RL tab is still there). It's no real big deal, it's 1 click of a mouse. You can always set RL as 'My Sport' and it takes you direct past the Footy and RU, Cricket etc.

As Flash says, it's not the BBC's job to promote the sport, especially one that's on it's arse.

Paulie xx

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/09/2021 10:23 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Same with newspaper coverage.I don't buy papers anymore but you used to get RL on half a page on the inside back pages, northern editions only.Not because the paper was biased but because  their research told them that most of their customers were not interested in RL.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/09/2021 1:47 pm
(@ditton-donkey)
Noble Member

You are right there sinbad, James is living his own bubble, reality will come through soon

onwards and upwards

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 04/09/2021 3:49 pm
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

You are right there sinbad, James is living his own bubble, reality will come through soon onwards and upwards

i don’t think James said League gets significant coverage. He just said that other sports would appreciate the coverage we get for their sports, which is true.

This one’s definitely a storm in a teacup.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/09/2021 1:24 am
(@viking01)

We as a club need to do more to promote the game locally. When was the last time you saw a poster or flyer advertising a Widnes match.

We have at least two full time professional players. Why are we not getting them involved doing more to advertise upcoming fixture round the town and in schools.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/09/2021 9:45 am
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

We as a club need to do more to promote the game locally. When was the last time you saw a poster or flyer advertising a Widnes match. We have at least two full time professional players. Why are we not getting them involved doing more to advertise upcoming fixture round the town and in schools.

Jack Owens' mugshot is all over arriva buses.You could put up a flyer on every lamp post and through every letter box in Widnes and Runcorn and the gate would still be no different.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/09/2021 12:25 pm
(@gpo1971)
Honorable Member

Agree, not sure it would make any difference. The 97% of the town who don't go games, it's because they don't want to not because they don't know they're there.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/09/2021 6:45 am
Share: