Sheens Resigns

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    Dan1
    • North Stander
    • ☆☆☆☆☆

‘Multidisciplinary first team staff’ is the key bit for me. Basically that says to me the under 19’s coach is also the first team assistant coach, other club staff are also doing more than one role. Stat man, SOC coach etc etc.

The other thing is why can the VIQI board ask why Sheens left and be told the answer, yet members who pay in every month and also season ticket holders aren’t? Either tell every member or tell no one.

Last point thats unrelated, how do we as members choose the VIQI member to represent us on the board and do they have any plans to hold an election or will it be the same person forever?

Frankg
    • First Teamer
    • ☆☆☆☆☆☆

I am not a member of VIQI, so really not in a  position to comment, but ……………….

Whilst there perhaps needs to be some clarity from the club about Sheens departure, perhaps we should all concentrate on what’s best for the club moving forward. I am disappointed that Sheens left as I saw him as our one hope for the future with the experience and respect to attract decent players and develop players. Why the statement came through VIQI and not the club is perhaps more a reflection on the club.

It is heartening that Sheens departure was not for financial reasons and the club appear to be looking to attract a quality replacement committed to moving the club forward. Sheens arrival gave the club hope of recovery after the disaster of 2019 and we should be thankful for that. You never know his departure may well be the catalyst for future development of the club and we uncover a pearl of a coach who fans will be talking about in years to come, as us old timers look back on Karalius and Laughton!!

As far as I can tell, Jason Shaw and other supporters who set up VIQI have done so without any personal reward and should be commended for the support given to the club for many years – and continue to do so. I am disgusted when on occasions the people behind VIQI have been the subject of unnecessary and unwarranted personal criticism on here,  from people who have  probably not put in a fraction of the effort and support for the club. Unfortunately, social media does seem to attract a few people who simply like to be negative and snipe from the side lines.

I can only give credit to those fans who set up  – and fans who have contributed to VIQI – to support the club through sponsorship and being able to sign players that we would otherwise have not been able to sign when Directors were simply taking money out of the club; but more particularly, their role in saving the club after the disaster of Administration in 2019. A seat on the Board was the least that they deserved. The criticism of individuals is certainly not deserved.

It is perhaps unfortunate that a statement was made about Sheens through VIQI – but it did answer the point that it was not about money – and perhaps it would have been better coming from the Club. VIQI can’t win with some. They are criticised for not being open with their “members” and then criticised for trying to clarify an issue being discussed by fans.

Probably VIQI has outgrown its original intention – a few dedicated fans wanting to raise money to support the club through sponsorship. It played a key role in saving the club from Administration and continues to have a key role in the future growth of the club. My guess is that if the individuals who set up VIQI and put in their time and effort to develop its role. Widnes Vikings may well have disappeared in 2019 or been languishing in League 1 with little hope for the future. Maybe the time is right for the VIQI Board and its many contributing members to review its future role and the role of individual members.

A seat on the Widnes Board for Jason Shaw was and is more than justified as the the founding member of VIQI. He is clearly a passionate supporter of the Club and no doubt has made a positive contribution to the running of the club since 2019. We should remember and ask ourselves,  that without Jason’s commitment and those of others who set it up, where would we be now if VIQI had never been there in 2019.

Maybe VIQI needs to review its future management structure and the role of those fans contributing to its funds, but please lets not forget the role of Jason Shaw and others who started and seen VIQI become a key organisation in the ensuring we have a club to support. Long may it continue.

,,, and before anyone says so, I will be considering contributing to VIQI. See you all in March/April (hopefully!!!)

sandgroper
    • Captain
    • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

The Widnes psyche doesn’t cover ‘trust’, I’m afraid, Frankg.

We moan about a Coach leaving, for what is to us an unknown reason, and that immediately becomes a lack of trust in the board, staff and VIQI organisers who rescued us from oblivion only months ago!!!

I await the proposal to shut VIQI down and let the club fail. (Of course we would only have the proposer’s word that they actually contribute!)

Then the untrusting could claim the victory of a self-fulfilling prophesy, Rule failed but Widnes fans succeeded! Brilliant!!

More rationally perhaps a couple of weeks or so and we might have a new coach.

James
    • North Stander
    • ☆☆☆☆☆

There have to be some things that shouldn’t be made public for s host of reasons. Would you like your employer blabbing your personal life to all and sundry. The VIQI statement is sensible and covers most of the things over which people might be suspicious. Until that is proved to be false that has to be accepted, or is everything and everybody associated with Widnes RLFC assumed to be dishonest? Let the board do their business and criticise then. Carry on with the suspicion and innuendo and nobody will want to come here, or support the club.

Which is fine, but at no point has anyone said “Sheens left for personal reasons”.

Given the recent history of the club, and the significant reliance on fans funding (through the Bethany Pennington campaign, donations, ongoing VIQI contributions, waiving Season Ticket monies), of course fans are going to ask questions.

The VIQI statement is now on their website here: https://www.viqi.co.uk/news/2020/10/12/viqi-member-update-12th-october-2020-tim-sheens-resignation

Former Chemic
    • North Stander
    • ☆☆☆☆☆

Thanks for the link James. I too am most disappointed at Tims sudden departure – he has made a significant contribution to the club in the short time he’s been here.

Over my long lifetime I’ve learned the difference between “trust” and “blind trust”. People in power make decisions that affect others, and sometimes the reasons for their actions remain confidential. If you have confidence and trust the decision makers then, to me, that’s reasonable.

What is not acceptable is to have blind trust (faith?) in people who are unwilling to explain their decisions. In my opinion VIQI have communicated as much as they can without sharing what could be personal or confidential information so I trust them.

However, the club issued a very poor statement and, in my view, have let the fans down.

Anotherposter
    • North Stander
    • ☆☆☆☆☆

I can understand peoples frustration due to the information or lack of, coming from the club but we have to accept that on occasion situations arise that people do not want to be made public, with that in mind we should respect the wishes of either Tim Sheens or the Board or both…

The information provided would suggest there are no financial issues or need to be overly concerned, the club have moved quickly to draw a line under it and try to appoint a new coach, sooner or later the truth will out and at that point people can make informed judgements

Richard Richard
    • Time to get a VIQI
    • ☆☆☆☆

We can judge now!

The people who run club are out of their depth.

And as for Finney @@@@

Richard Richard
    • Time to get a VIQI
    • ☆☆☆☆

THE END.

North Stand UTC
    • South Stander
    • ☆☆☆

We can judge now! The people who run club are out of their depth. And as for Finney @@@@

Firstly, maybe the lack of comment on the nature of Sheen’s department is a litigation issue or maybe he has agreed to a contract elsewhere but that cannot be announced yet.

I am not sure how sheens departure can be blamed on anybody at the club and as for Finney, what evidence is they to suggest he is out of his depth?

Frankg
    • First Teamer
    • ☆☆☆☆☆☆

THE END.

Oh dear – disappointment at losing Sheens certainly, but could be an opportunity to improve. It could actually be the BEGINNING of a bright future for Widnes.

On what basis do you conclude that the people running the club are out of their depth and you clearly have an issue with Finney. Based on what?

The club has come through Administration and fighting its way through the covid pandemic and still look to be positive in their search for a replacement coach. What would you be doing that is different?

ma
    • South Stander
    • ☆☆☆

The other thing is why can the VIQI board ask why Sheens left and be told the answer, yet members who pay in every month and also season ticket holders aren’t? Either tell every member or tell no one.

Well then there really isn’t a point in VIQI having a seat then is there?

VIQI as an organisation has a seat on the board, with the representative for VIQI looking after the interests of the members. 1000 members (or whatever the number of members is), dont have a seat on the board themselves.

If keeping certain things quiet looks after the interests of the club, then I support that. In the nearly 20 months that the new board has been in charge have, they have not given me any reason or cause to be suspicious. That might change in the future but for now they have my trust and hopefully many others.

Keiron left for job satisfaction and looking after his career – cant argue with that- although timing was terrible.

Tim is nearly 70. Maybe a 70 year old, at his time of life, doesnt want to be waiting around for a season that doesn’t have a starting point. Could be wrong. If he decided he wanted his destiny to be in his own hands, at the moment could anybody blame him.

It really isn’t the end of the world.

North Stand UTC
    • South Stander
    • ☆☆☆

Name me one decision Finney deserves a lot of flack for?

Owl
    • South Stander
    • ☆☆☆

A bit of perspective….Widnes Vikings are not a big organisation say of similar size in terms of personnel and budget as say a large junior/small sec. school, a medium size supermarket, a dental surgery etc. and not very complex either so it would be difficult for anyone with a reasonable degree of leadership to be out of their depth……………having said that the people running the organisation do seem to have a problem recruiting and keeping key personnel such as the commercial manager and now the rugby manager…it may well be that these people have got better employment elsewhere but the second problem they appear to have is the lack of value they place on the supporter , the customers so to speak………………most organisations place a high value on the way they portray themselves to customers…….they put a positive spin and outlook on things….no so at the Widnes Vikings. Small things matter at the point of contact with the public…..the website?…mediocre at best certainly far too many pages not up to date ,the shop …..very variable can`t say what they are like on the phone as I have never rung them all in all there is a lot to be desired in customer relations. They need to get their act together.. fast !!!

CJ91
    • First Teamer
    • ☆☆☆☆☆☆

VIQI say that they would have considered coming in to support if matters with Sheens came to a head for financial reasons.

I think it’s fair to say that many members would have supported them had VIQI funds been used for dealing with that.

Maybe it’s as simple as he just didn’t fancy the job anymore but if they say that, they get fingers pointed at them for not doing enough to keep him.

This time next month, hopefully things will look a lot clearer.

ScouseViking55
    • North Stander
    • ☆☆☆☆☆

Richards just a moany bugger if you look at any of his posts on here for the last few months

Back to Forum Home | Mark Topic Read  | 
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 121 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.