Notifications
Clear all

Ottowa Aces permanently relocate to England

Page 1 / 3
(@djones)
Estimable Member

Ottawa Aces Statement

Friends and supporters, as we continue to navigate COVID-19 and the considerable affect it has on all of our lives, we want to share an update on the Ottawa Aces. It is with heavy hearts we must announce our club will be forced to permanently relocate back to England, and a more stable operating environment. In the coming weeks, our new permanent location in England will be revealed. Due to this move, all season ticket membership deposits will be refunded.

We launched our club’s move from Hemel Hempstead to Ottawa on March 9, 2020. A few days later, the pandemic began its spread within Canada. In essence, we have lived the entirety of our existence amid the pandemic. Last season, we were revving up to play our inaugural campaign, when we were forced to pull out due to the ongoing proliferation of the pandemic.

Let it be known, a wide range of solutions have been explored, with a view to keeping this club in Ottawa. As well, numerous factors were considered. These factors included but were not limited to; consultation with both the governments of the United Kingdom, and Canada, and the projected ease and availability of travel options next year.

Unfortunately, despite the extreme motivation, significant financial investment, and the heart and soul of our staff being poured into the task, it has proven to be a bridge too far.

We would like to thank our sponsors, Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group, and most of all our fans in the Ottawa region for their steadfast support. We hope one day professional Rugby League can return to Canada, and specifically TD Place Stadium.

https://www.ottawaaces.com/club-announcement

That lasted well.

Topic starter Posted : 23/10/2021 7:22 am
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

It would have been good if they’d mentioned where they are relocating to in the UK.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/10/2021 8:11 am
(@mick-george)
Prominent Member

It would have been good if they’d mentioned where they are relocating to in the UK.

It would be even better if they where fucked right off.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/10/2021 8:33 am
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Have they got any surplus props!!!!?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/10/2021 8:42 am
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

So how if they are permanently relocating to England can they be Ottawa?

There is literally zero point to this.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/10/2021 10:16 am
(@royston-vasey)
Honorable Member

So how if they are permanently relocating to England can they be Ottawa? There is literally zero point to this.

Obviously they can’t be Ottawa which is why I asked who they were going to be. I suspect it might be somewhere like Hemel (we’re the owners started) but if they want to pump silly amounts of money into an existing club, who better than a club that can boast being past World Champions (the first World Champions, indeed). Just a thought …..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/10/2021 11:03 am
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

I mean perish the thought they pump money into a former world champion 😉
<p style="text-align: left;">It is again proof that the Canada thing is unworkable</p>

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/10/2021 11:23 am
(@spike-island-90)
Honorable Member

I’m not against expansion, I am just against giving expansion clubs priority when they always go the same way.

People cite Catalan as evidence of success but Catalan have effectively been in a town that has played Rugby League for 80 years. Some people believe London can be resurrected to be a powerhouse, well 40 years later and they were attracting 500 fans last year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/10/2021 11:28 am
(@spelly)
Noble Member

I've already posted on Facebook that this has "won't finish the season" written all over it!

I am, always have been, always will be, an expansionist, and make no apologies whatsoever for that, but.....................

Ottawa playing out of (I presume) Hemel, is not expansion!

Who's gonna watch 'em, apart from the away fans?

I totally accept that Covid is the main reason for the decision, but.............

Surely, putting it on hold for twelve months, when hopefully they can play at home, is far better than hosting games on this side of the Pond?

Spelly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/10/2021 12:02 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

RFL should step in and stop this farce.

I believe Toronto and others are playing in an American League.

Good luck to them, genuinely hope an American League is successful would be great.

That is where Ottawa should be playing.

Coventry are doing well, NW Crusaders seem to be doing well in Colwyn; rather see these clubs supported.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/10/2021 12:33 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

I'd be surprised if they even start the season nevermind finish it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/10/2021 2:11 pm
(@sandgroper)
Noble Member

Liverpool and  Harrogate quoted as the new 'home'.

Is this all part of the Koukash project? Another effort to stuff up the Championship!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/10/2021 2:31 pm
(@geoffw)
Prominent Member

This really is now a farce but more than that inflicting damage to the survival of the game in the UK. Most SL clubs are already complaining about 2 French teams next year & the loss of finance from away supporters. A third foreign side in 3 years is not sustainable. What next New York in in 4 years? SL should be a UK league with possibly 1 space for 1  French side until the game in France strengthens.

The RL should not be allowing any of this. Support teams to flourish in USA or Canada but in supporting the set up of their own leagues in their own countries only.

The game in this country is struggling greatly with a reduced Sky TV contract without inflicting unnecessary further damage. It is simply stupid.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/10/2021 2:58 pm
 CJ91
(@cj91)
Noble Member

Liverpool; they would have to play at Marine, Bootle, Waterloo or Prescot Cables for example-no chance of any kind of crowd coming to watch them there and no chance of progression to SL with those Stadia.

Harrogate- they have got a 4G pitch but the football team is doing very well....

Why not just leave it completely....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/10/2021 3:32 pm
(@sinbad)
Noble Member

Anyone in Harrogate who wants to watch RL will be doing so already.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/10/2021 4:20 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: